+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ebay rules on contact info

I'm Martin.

I dont always defend ebay but its an understandable rule to protect their business.

I use ebay in a way that I would never use Amazon because I like to contact sellers about collectables. The messaging system is very good but obviously I dont start or accept private deals because I value remaining on ebay. I also like to keep it paypal and other deals are not as easy or convenient.....ebay should rightly charge for this level of convenience. I would never have seen these sellers if not for ebay so I am loyal to ebay for that reason and others

Ebay benefit from large and small volume sellers and Ive been looking at LED VU display meters and kits from Hong Kong and Lithuania. Its just as good as anything Amazon offer in my opinion

I dont want to turn this into a bashing but Ive a thing about Amazon warehouses and staff conditions. I like to deal with sellers direct. My parents like Amazon because they like clicking and buying. I like ebay for the collectors community and direct questions

I'm Lawrence.

You can't use paypal for collection only items due to fraud risk, therefore if you tell them your phone number and address to arrange collection, what happens if they turn up and decide they don't like it, but eBay assume you've done the deal and take their fees?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    If they didnt rip sellers off at every opportunity they wouldnt have a problem. they charge too much and side with buyers no matter what thus screwing up what was a nice way of buying and selling for all bar the massives volume sellers..
    Amen.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    You can't use paypal for collection only items due to fraud risk, therefore if you tell them your phone number and address to arrange collection, what happens if they turn up and decide they don't like it, but eBay assume you've done the deal and take their fees?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk
    Yes thats an issue and I always take cash if people are collecting. If the transaction doesnt go through I would have to cancel the transaction and probably back that up with a relisting. I agree that would be awkward but ebay have had plenty of leeway and they have seen no problems on my account . They are not ogres if you are straight up with them...they understand transactions falter and they must deal with countless issues per day

What they are trying to stop is blatant offers of dealing away from the site. Its is a two fingers to ebay to use the messaging system to set up private deals. Obviously they cant stop me knowing who the seller is as I have been sent business cards with the mail.

Most sellers I deal with are private individuals with some bits and bobs to sell. We dont mind the fees because its very handy to browse a large central site. Do I really mind 10% on a tenner? Ok there are also paypal fees but paypal are not running a charity. They instantly convert currencies and protect my financial details from sellers. They also offer some level of buyer protection...what price would you put on that?

Other sites have a different feel (maybe a car boot type feel) but I dint find the collectables I am looking for on those sites.

If you mind the 10% on higher value items then you shouldnt be selling there really...it is that simple

With just a few items a car boot sale is not cost effective and I can get worldwide coverage with my ebay listing.

There is a tendency for people to think it should all be free. Selling stuff is not easy and many shops have closed down because of the increased business rates
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 22-09-2017 at 09:58.

I'm brian.

Good points well made Martin. Some folks, as in life just shape everything to how it affects them and there pockets. Ebay is clearly not perfect but abide by the rules
    or don't bother to use it, simple as.

I'm Adam.

As above, I don't really have a problem with the rule. What I do have a problem with is rules like this not being enforced.

I have a particular item on my eBay alert list and one in the USA crops up fairly regularly as a three day auction. However, it states in the description that all auction bids will be cancelled and that you can only Buy It Now from this seller by contacting him outside of eBay. I have reported this auction four times in the last fortnight but it keeps coming back, so I though I'd look at the seller's other items, in case it was a dodgy auction. It turns out he has over 60 items for sale, all with the exact same format and instructions, and a feedback rating of over 20,000. As a result, it doesn't appear to matter whether his account has been hacked, or if he's actually getting away with this - either way, eBay are clearly doing nothing about it!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm gone.

The email I got says, in part ....

Offers to buy and sell or communicate outside of eBay constitute policy violations and may be subject to a range of actions including limits on buying and selling privileges as well as the application of final value fees for such transactions, the application of fees for the introduction of a seller to a buyer and the recovery of expenses for policy monitoring and enforcement.

So they can add on whatever fee value they feel like in terms of an "introduction fee" and for covering their expenses in enforcing the new policy.
    Basically they can just help themselves to your funds.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

Offers to buy and sell or communicate outside of eBay constitute policy violations and may be subject to a range of actions including limits on buying and selling privileges as well as the application of final value fees for such transactions, the application of fees for the introduction of a seller to a buyer and the recovery of expenses for policy monitoring and enforcement.

So they can add on whatever fee value the feel like in terms of an "introduction fee" and for covering their expenses in enforcing the new policy.
    As I say I dont sell but I got that too and thought it licenced theft tbh. I am considering cancelling my account tbh and Ive been with ebay damn near since they started
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

I have a bank account dedicated to eBay - I always thought I didn't want the b*****s to have access to my main account.
    I have just now largely emptied that account.
    I certainly don't trust them.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

So they can add on whatever fee value they feel like in terms of an "introduction fee" and for covering their expenses in enforcing the new policy.
    Sorry but break the rules and there should be a punishment, that reads fine to me, and all that is claiming what was theirs but avoided.

If folks don't like the rules then don't use EBay.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast