+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ebay rules on contact info

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Sorry but break the rules and there should be a punishment.
    I agree, to an extent.

But they have given themselves carte blanche.
    They don't seem to have specified the fees, and they have given themselves the power of prosecutor, judge and jury.

I've had a run-in with them before over fees - the eBay guy on the phone agreed I should have a refund but it never appeared.
    So, no, I don't trust them to be fair or to keep their word.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I agree, to an extent.

They don't seem to have specified the fees, and they have given themselves the power of prosecutor, judge and jury.

I've had a run-in with them before over fees - the eBay guy on the phone agreed I should have a refund but it never appeared.

Agree with Jerry. Increasingly ordinary people aren't using it to sell stuff, precisely because it behaves like the faceless, disgustingly arrogant megacorp that it now is. So the 'if you don't like it then piss off' message is getting through loud and clear.

But it's perfectly fine to be really pissed off at them in return for abusing their position. The founder of the discipline of economics, Adam Smith (another famous Scotsman) wrote in The Wealth of Nations back in 1776 about how capitalism tends to monopoly, and this was a bad thing - one of the main roles for governments is regulate the market against this sort of thing, but this is hard in the globalised situation we are in today.

The best thing that could happen is for a proper rival to emerge - unlikely though at this stage though you never know there are a few companies who could pull it off - Amazon and Google to name but two.

I'm Adam.

I have a bank account dedicated to eBay - I always thought I didn't want the b*****s to have access to my main account.
    I have just now largely emptied that account.
    I certainly don't trust them.
    I also have a dedicated eBay/Paypal bank account - it has no overdraft facility and it never has more than £10 in it!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Neil.

I agree, to an extent.

Fair enough, so far I haven't had a problem with them. Recently they sorted a fraudulent listing for a Blu Ray disc that didn't appear. They decided for me in 12 mins and refunded my money, in fairness there were many other issues regarding the same seller that began to appear after I bought from them.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

I mainly use it as a buyer and I keep my wits about me. I dont have much to sell now and I realised that staying up all night to pack things superbly just isnt cost effective in most cases.

I have to say that the sort of person that thinks nothing of sending a prized amplifier half way around the world is going to experience real problems sooner or later. Thats the nature of distance selling when you lose the ability to weigh up every factor. I dont do any transactions that would really hurt if they went wrong. As a buyer Im pretty much covered if items dont arrive or are not as described. An opened case with photos and the decision has always gone in my favour.

Come on they are not the only mega corporation that can seem a bit cold. Im not naive enough to expect that they have a team of dedicated professionals just looking after me.

I buy from people with good feedback and I know the large volume sellers that are unlikely to offer a reasonable service.

ebay rules are fine with me and Ive done very well using them

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I mainly use it as a buyer and I keep my wits about me. I dont have much to sell now and I realised that staying up all night to pack things superbly just isnt cost effective in most cases.

I have to say that the sort of person that thinks nothing of sending a prized amplifier half way around the world is going to experience real problems sooner or later. Thats the nature of distance selling when you lose the ability to weigh up every factor. I dont do any transactions that would really hurt if they went wrong. As a buyer Im pretty much covered if items dont arrive or are not as described. An opened case with photos and the decision has always gone in my favour.

Come on they are not the only mega corporation that can seem a bit cold. Im not naive enough to expect that they have a team of dedicated professionals just looking after me.

I buy from people with good feedback and I know the large volume sellers that are unlikely to offer a reasonable service.

ebay rules are fine with me and Ive done very well using them
    Buying is still sensible. It's as a marketplace for sellers that all the grumbles are about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I used to be able to give my email address out in an eBay message by spelling it out in full ie. (email address deleted by Geoff) but eBay now picks that up and doesn't allow the message to be sent so what I do now is advertise the same item on Gumtree and then respond saying same.. that gets round the eBay rules... at the moment

~~ Best not to show personal details on open forum Bev. Geoff ~~
    Last edited by walpurgis; 22-09-2017 at 19:53.
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm stuart.

if you have a business account you MUST supply an email address and telephone number in the contacts area - I think that's a requirement of law, so it will be interesting to see if they tell sellers they need to remove that information

I'm Hugo.

Am I the only person who does not have a huge problem with this? eBay are entitled to clamp down on people who use it as cheap advertising for sales concluded elsewhere. Despite its faults, which I don't deny, eBay often provides the best international platform through which to get the best price for something. Gumtree and forum sales (if we are talking about audio) won't do that. A well presented eBay listing will allow an item for sale to find its true price.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Am I the only person who does not have a huge problem with this? eBay are entitled to clamp down on people who use it as cheap advertising for sales concluded elsewhere. Despite its faults, which I don't deny, eBay often provides the best international platform through which to get the best price for something. Gumtree and forum sales (if we are talking about audio) won't do that. A well presented eBay listing will allow an item for sale to find its true price.
    I agree overall and in principle.

But .... as previously mentioned and in many other cases, eBay are often arbitrary and unfair in the way they adjudicate problem issues.
    And no, that is not alright. You have to be on the receiving end of the (often costly) grief to fully appreciate that. And with the new rules they have given themselves even greater power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast