+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FOR SALE: Harbeth SHL5Plus Speakers (Cherry finish)

I'm Andrew.

Default FOR SALE: Harbeth SHL5Plus Speakers (Cherry finish)

Harbeth Super HL5 Plus speakers in cherry Finish, with original box and owner’s certificate. Used in a no smoking environment at modest volume. A couple of very minor and virtually invisible marks, but basically in superb condition.

Numerous pictures showing every surface (other than the undersides) here:

https://ibb.co/album/g2yz1F

£2400 collected from SE London or postage at cost. No offers. They are on Ebay at a higher BIN price.

If the buyer collects I have a couple of options for stands at varying price points: either a really superb custom made pair of heavy steel stands which can be used with or without spikes. Or I can provide for free a modified pair of IKEA Oddvar stools, with the tops removed, which I painted in a special matte black paint.

The Harbeth website here has all the specs, and links to the quite extraordinary number of rave reviews:

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/hifi-speake...er-hl5plus.php

To add to the wave of adulation, here are some of my thoughts:

These were one the very few contemporary speakers that impressed me when I said goodbye to my ESL 63s. They were the only speaker that could work in my room that had a similar fidelity to the Quads across the mid-range, but supplemented this with greater reach and openness, and more satisfying dynamics than the Quads, particulalry in the bass.

I know all the Harbeth range except for the M40s intimately, and what makes these special is not just their greater reach in the bass (they are flat to 40Hz and roll off smoothly into sub-bass). They are perhaps the only speakers I’ve had in the house (other than the ESL63s) that represent the full range of a tenor saxophone in a balanced way, without emphasizing the upper octave, as nearly all small speakers seem to do. Their tonal fidelity works across the range, so that they are equally faithful to a cello or a soprano voice, and crucially, to the left and right hands on the piano. With orchestral music they have a wonderful scale and richness, giving weight to the double basses and letting the upper strings float in the air. This much is common knowledge. What is less appreciated is that if you give them a good tight amp they sound great with all forms of dance music too. You don’t actually need lots of power for this; my 20W Eastern Electric M520 drives them nicely at modest volume.

I’ve tried all sorts of equipment with these speakers, from a budget Kenwood integrated to an Audio Research LS26 and VTL ST150 combo (that was really good!). Alan Shaw is a little misleading in what he says about amps, but there is some truth in his suggestion that you should place most of your emphasis on the speakers. The SHL5Plus really did sound great with the budget Kenwood integrated, and better with my old Onix OA 21. I have found they really thrive with hybrids. Croft 25R/7R is a well known classic, but the best of all for me were my Unison Research Unico Pre and DM. With the SHL5Plus you get a system that combines tonal naturalism and dynamics with an open soundstage. A Sonneteer Alabaster was another classic combination.

The Plus version have much better driver integration than the previous model; Harbeth really made a big leap in this respect. And the bass is much more neutral, allowing easier placement in small to medium sized rooms. If you have a big room you will certainly get the best of them, but they are spectacular in a small room when used in a near-field configuration; then you get a combination of stage depth and intimacy that is quite magical.

I'm Steven.

Default FOR SALE: Harbeth SHL5Plus Speakers (Cherry finish)

I recall doing some business with Andrew, good chap. having sold a pair recently to get the SHL5+ 40th Anniversary LE, mainly as I wanted walnut veneer, these are a bargain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm Geoff.

Andrew. Photos of the actual item offered must be displayed on the listing as per selling rules. Thanks.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Geoff, I tried to attach one but it just came up as a square with a question mark. I linked the URL from imgdd but that's all that happened.

I'm Edward.

deleted.
    Last edited by Edward; 21-09-2017 at 09:10. Reason: Geoff did the same as me - but better. :-)
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

OK Andrew. I've put two of your photos here, so you are at least compliant with forum requirements. Those wishing to view more can use your link. I'm not sure what went wrong with your image handling. You can practise this by sending yourself PM's and trying to embed photos in them. Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Ah. I see Edward has chipped in too.

I'm Mike.

Lol I was just about to do the same

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Ah. I see Edward has chipped in too.
    I deleted as your efforts far more superior to mine - and you outrank me!
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

Great, many thanks! The problem seems to be with imgbb links. I never had a problem before when I used photobucket, but they now charge for hosting. I'll do some practice as you suggest and hopefully crack it eventually.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast