+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To audition or not to audition?

I'm Peter.

Funny, now I come to think of it ... I only audition when I already have doubts. Saved quite a bit of money that way. Speakers are the most difficult ime. I've walked away from quite a few 'rave review' speakers because they sounded terrible in a dealer dem. Dunno, maybe they'd have been fine at home, but if a professional dealer can't get them to sound half decent, then I won't be taking the gamble.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    it used to be easy to sell but now its much harder . i take a bit more care now in choosing kit
    Me too. Even buying second-hand, the two best amplifiers I've sold in recent years both cost me a bundle of money when I sold them on, because they aren't well-known brands.
    Last edited by petrat; 21-09-2017 at 17:57. Reason: clarification

I'm Deleted.

I always try before I buy, even before I build (DIY).
    Account Deleted

I'm Dave.

I don't recall ever buying anything without an audition first and in my demo room. The only times I haven't has been vintage gear on E-Bay and that has rarely ended well..

I'm Adam.

If it's a component intended for long-term use in my main system, then it will always be auditioned. If it's just something old/interesting I fancy trying out, then I just go for it. Auditionng wouldn't work in many of these cases, anyway, as the items in question are often broken!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Bought my last two sets of speakers blind. Tannoy Ascots and KEF Corellis. I knew what they'd sound like, having heard similar (but not identical) models. Wasn't disappointed and still have them. Unfortunately, to make space, I may have to part with the Corellis and I've got rather attached to them, they're damn good.
    Corellis = bextrene quack (and quite a lot of it).

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    Corellis = bextrene quack (and quite a lot of it).
    No. Not here.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    No. Not here.
    Bought an immaculate boxed pair a few years ago without audition. Awful unbearable bextrene quack - had to get rid of them. Very disappointing. No quack with Celestion SL 700E nor Spendor SP2/3r2 although perhaps an unfair comparison....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12