+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To audition or not to audition?

I'm James.

Default To audition or not to audition?

When looking to buy new Hifi do you always audition first? I've auditioned gear in the past,liked it, bought it, 2 months later sold it because I didn't like it, so now I don't bother, what do you think? Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm gone.

I rarely listen in advance.
    Buy it (used), enjoy it (or not) for a while, move it on.
    Great fun!

I'm Neil.

Its the ideal, shop first then your own system, but there are items and situations that make it difficult or impossible.
    Regards Neil

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I rarely listen in advance.
    Buy it (used), enjoy it (or not) for a while, move it on.
    Great fun!
    Buying used does seem a more cost effective way in many ways, especially if you don't like what you've bought
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Phil.

it used to be easy to sell but now its much harder . i take a bit more care now in choosing kit , that said the last lot of speakers i bought blind !!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    the last lot of speakers i bought blind !!
    Bought my last two sets of speakers blind. Tannoy Ascots and KEF Corellis. I knew what they'd sound like, having heard similar (but not identical) models. Wasn't disappointed and still have them. Unfortunately, to make space, I may have to part with the Corellis and I've got rather attached to them, they're damn good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I've always found that auditioning anything at a dealer is a complete waste of time as their listening rooms are generally perfect and it sounds completely different once you get it home so I don't bother dealers

Just thinking about it I don't own any item that I went to a dealer for a listen

So everything in my signature, plus the new stuff not mentioned, was all purchased blind
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Everything I have has been bought blind. But virtually all of it was bought after reading reviews in audio magazines that I trusted (HFN, Studio Sound and the now-defunct 'Hi-Fi for Pleasure').

Never bought a 'pup', a lot of it was previously owned and if I didn't really like any component either sold it on or gave it away.
    Barry

I'm paul.

Gut feeling and buy blind. Seems to have worked. Although there have been many changes, I've enjoyed almost everything and " upgraded " as and when. Lately I've downgraded money wise and sound wise I'm well pleased.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Martin.

Auditioning gear contaminates your purity. Everyone knows that. I buy on the specs and live with it for a while in my room and my system, try other components with it, maybe mess about with cabling and listen to most of my collection through it before I finally decide. if I like, then it stays. If I don't then it goes in storage (or occasionally gets sold).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast