+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Philips CD 920 player

Default Philips CD 920 player

Hey Cats,
    Got the Philips home and after a cleaning/lubing and inspection of the innards there's a problem. It may be related to the smoothing cap that has begun to leak. The player will play both redbook and burned discs but on both it will skip. It has Nichicon, Elna, NKL caps throughout it's build. It will need a new smoothing cap for sure. However the skipping is an issue, I now have it running discs to hopefully run it out as it may need to run in for a few hours to work out the bugs as it may have been sitting idle for a couple years. It has the CDM 12 drive in it which is very very quiet.

The unit was built is 92 at the Singapore factory. Is Philips still an English company that has it's kit built elsewhere or has it been bought up by another electronics company?

Any tips on the drive issue from anyone? Will it need swapping out perhaps?

From what I've heard it's a competent player and nice a nice bottom end but I foresee doing duty as a transport if I can sort the drive out.

Thanks for the read.

Peace,
    Preston
    Preston.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Philips is a European concern I think and they bought Marantz a very long time ago - not sure if they still own marantz though (they also had 25% of B&O at one time, hence their products having much Philips content inside).

I'd have thought that 1992 production may have had the CD-M9 mech (the last swing-arm one), but if yours is the 12, then carefully lubing the laser runners and slide (they go sticky) may be all you need to do mechanically.

The cap MUST be replaced, as leaky ones aren't functioning properly. Maybe try one with the next voltage rating up (hopefully an engineer can comment better).

Depending on the CD-M12 variant, you should be able to locate a replacement with little cost and difficulty I think.

Good luck
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Thanks Dave, did all that you suggested except for the cap, going to order one up of better quality and pop it in. I'll report back on the repair results.
    Thanks for the info.

Peace,
    Preston
    Preston.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Philips is a European concern I think and they bought Marantz a very long time ago - not sure if they still own marantz though (they also had 25% of B&O at one time, hence their products having much Philips content inside).

I'd have thought that 1992 production may have had the CD-M9 mech (the last swing-arm one), but if yours is the 12, then carefully lubing the laser runners and slide (they go sticky) may be all you need to do mechanically.

The cap MUST be replaced, as leaky ones aren't functioning properly. Maybe try one with the next voltage rating up (hopefully an engineer can comment better).

Depending on the CD-M12 variant, you should be able to locate a replacement with little cost and difficulty I think.

Good luck
    Marantz is now part of DNM holdings.....Denon, Marantz, Nippon and recently Mc Intosh has been bought by DNM too. So they are Japanese now.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I think this player has a 1541 dac? If so,you'll find lots of tweaking ideas on the lamizator site.

I'm Attila.

mech is the cdm12.1, dac is the tda1547
    philips was a dutch company at the time, just as marantz, but i dunno what's the situation now.
    one thing is for sure, philips do not manufacture any cdm or vam mechs any more, the (perhaps) only source is ebay - the 12.1 is still available from there, don't worry, though be pretty quick either
    good luck
    Attila

save the trees - eat beavers

The Phillips is all set now, sticky rods are no longer sticky. Plays everything fine, it's a competent player but not anything to write Mom about. Going to square away the cap issue in the near future and maybe a couple tweaks to see if I can wake it up some.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Peace,
    Preston
    Preston.

+ Reply to Thread