+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what old amp to consider?

Thanks Dave for the offer but you are a bit to far from me.
    I will make a shortlist and look out for those suggested amps. I could probably stretch my budget if know that amp was recently serviced. Unfortunately with fleebay you might get a good one or a complete dud. Price wise everything went up over last couple years.
    I think I can arrange home demo with recently serviced quad33 and 303 which belong to friend of mine. Thats if he hasnt sold them yet.
    Martin.

I'm ChrisB.

Ebay's not the only source of 2nd hand hi-fi folks!
    There are some places where you can buy stuff with a guarantee.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Not very, there is a 303 on ebay now for £129, "buy it now". I recently got a working one for £85 and another that only needed output caps for £55.
    I'm not an avid 303 follower and was going buy the stuff i last looked at like some time ago which were selling at around £300 a set

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/quad-303-power...item4149ec35b4

so perhaps their are still bargains to be had
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    I'm not an avid 303 follower and was going buy the stuff i last looked at like some time ago which were selling at around £300 a set

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/quad-303-power...item4149ec35b4

so perhaps their are still bargains to be had
    When I got my first 303 (many years ago and second hand, could have been early 70's) it was in nice condition, but I was not impressed with the sound. It sat unused for some time. I decided to service it and was surprised how good it sounded. I still have that amp (completely original even the PS and output caps are OK).

I have three other 303s (all newer) that have needed some caps replacing. They all work and sound very good.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

i bought mine from the original owner but the main caps were leaking so they were replaced along with the volume control on the pre, did you find a source for the original caps at the right size and shape we had problems from what i can remember.
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    i bought mine from the original owner but the main caps were leaking so they were replaced along with the volume control on the pre, did you find a source for the original caps at the right size and shape we had problems from what i can remember.
    I just use what I can get, talking about the 2000uf (2200uF in later production) for PS and output of the 303. Modern caps are generally smaller, so either use smaller clips or plastic packing in the original clips.

Increasing the output cap size (uF) can help the bass with some speakers. I have used 4700uF in one 303, 10,000 uF in another.

I'm Duncan.

check out the kel84 on hifi wigwam
    £340 gets you the real deal

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Seconded.The KEL is a superb amp and a real giant killer.Grab it!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    When I got my first 303 (many years ago and second hand, could have been early 70's) it was in nice condition, but I was not impressed with the sound. It sat unused for some time. I decided to service it and was surprised how good it sounded. I still have that amp (completely original even the PS and output caps are OK).

I have three other 303s (all newer) that have needed some caps replacing. They all work and sound very good.
    Wanna sell one?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

'2ndhandhifi.co.uk' were advertising a boxed 33/303 combo for £249 just the other day.

Sorry I can't post a link that is too advanced for me

You'd still need a passive pot for the pre or something as I personally wouldn't use the 33 pre 'as is' plus you can't put a CD player through it for some bizarre technical reason.

Prices in dealers seem more realistic than on ebay these days and less hassle to buy from them as well. I'm just not certain a 303 is a good match for those speakers but you never really know until you try...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast