+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what old amp to consider?

Default what old amp to consider?

Do you guys have any recommendation regarding old amplifiers from marantz,luxman, pioneer etc. Which ones to go for and which ones to avoid.
    Will be looking for something with warm,rich,clear sq?
    Martin.

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Martin.
    How much lolly are you planning to put into this?
    You say old - do you mean old or really old? (!!)

My fault Would be looking for something up to £300 mark. It has to be servicable so i presume solid state 1970s,80s would be a good choice.
    Martin.

I'm Martin.

Are you going to use it for those B&Ws? or for some other 'speakers?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

At moment thats my intention. I would like to go valve way but due to money constraints I dont think this will happen this year.
    Martin.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Which speakers do you have?

b&w cdm7se 150w 8ohm
    Martin.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ah just seen your other post.I'm guessing about 90dB/w/m? I used to have a pair of P5's,which I ran with an original wooden-sleeve Sugden A21.A lovely class A amp which will give more than a taste of the valve sound.Dunno what they go for nowadays,but I picked a minter up a few years ago for £100.Would still be using it if I hadn't got into valves. Battleship build too.

I'm Martin.

The usual suspects tend to get reeled off with these 'old integrated' questions so I'll list 'em now to save the bother:

A&R Cambridge A60, Sugden A21a, Audiolab 800a, a couple of oddball others I can't recall right now. It's finding a good one for sensible cash is the problem there nowadays.

You could also look for a Denon PMA450 UK from the early 90s. Powerful but clean sounding amp.

Alternatively if you can bypass the pre-amp on your existing amp you could get a taste of valves with the Croft Micro pre for near that money.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Many Jap amps from this era really weren't very good and were laden with all sorts of non THD style distortions ignored by the ignorant masses (low THD was king back then).

The Luxman amps were ok though with a rich and creamy colouration reminiscent of old fashioned valve amps.

There was an A&R "200" power amp on fleabay which would respond well to a modern preamp and sources. Thie designer co-founded Myryad in the 90's and the MI-120 was a very clear but civilised amp, well made, well protected and with a fine phono-stage option.

I have to give a shout for the Quad 77 integrated too. Unloved because of its "different-ness," it sounds sweet and expansive with no harshness or "clutter" whatsoever...

I dare not say more on the 1970's jap amps, because so many were awful and you would find one good one amongst the dross in the rest of the range.

Some Sugdens are ok, the others rather soft toned. From the 70's, the A48 II and III was a workmanlike amp but had some oddities too.

Things have moved on with both valve and transistor designs since the 1970's. You'll have to look on Vintage Knob and similar to see of you can find the goodies like the Sony TA-5650 and 8650 V-Fet designs, which sadly didn't seem to sell hugely in the UK, despite their undoubted abilities with LP and line sources..
    Last edited by DSJR; 07-02-2010 at 14:37.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast