+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy question

I'm Brian.

Yup , I've got to admit that I love my 637s ( thanks Grant ) but I would really like to try something a little further up the range
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I would really like to try something a little further up the range
    Get your hands on a pair of Eatons Brian. They're the best value of the true pepperpot monitors and sound excellent. To my ears, the HPD 295A they employ sounds better than the bigger HPD 315A and 12" Monitor Gold (which I've also owned). Had five pairs of Eatons, loved 'em. And they have rubber cone surrounds that don't rot away.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Welcome to the club, Adey. Looking good!

When I got my Tannoys, the Kensington SE was the model I was looking for, but some bat-crazy dealer offered me the Canterburys at a stupid low price, so I just had to, really However, I must say that the Ks always look 'just right' to me, and if ever I see any for sale at a decent price, I'd be on them like a shot.

I know that it might spoil the aesthetics, but try raising the tweeters up to ear level ... piles of books would do it to trial it ... or, simply sit on the floor. Mine are a whole other world when you get your ears at the right level (listening near/mid-field).

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Get your hands on a pair of Eatons Brian. They're the best value of the true pepperpot monitors and sound excellent. To my ears, the HPD 295A they employ sounds better than the bigger HPD 315A and 12" Monitor Gold (which I've also owned). Had five pairs of Eatons, loved 'em. And they have rubber cone surrounds that don't rot away.
    Cheers Geoff , I'll have a look at them
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Good to hear your positive coments so far
    As stated; I have lived with mine for around 7 years now, and over that time I have become very acustomed to their Strengths' [and weaknesses, no speaker is perfect] and I have to say that to date; they are the best over-all speakers I have owned in the 30 odd years I have been into HI FI, hence why I have held onto them the longest so far.
    Over the years' I have played around with the positioning of them, and also what they stand on ie; straight on the carpet, or on spikes, and more recently;[around 2 years now] on the Townshend Seismic Isolation bars they are currently sat on, each has a very noticable affect on the sonic performance of these speakers, and the room as a whole, this set up is my prefrence to date, However; my choice may not suit everyone, or the diffrent systems, and rooms of which these speakers may be used, safe to say though, I could live with these speakers in pretty much any set up.
    Again, good luck with them.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Welcome to the club, Adey. Looking good!

When I got my Tannoys, the Kensington SE was the model I was looking for, but some bat-crazy dealer offered me the Canterburys at a stupid low price, so I just had to, really However, I must say that the Ks always look 'just right' to me, and if ever I see any for sale at a decent price, I'd be on them like a shot.

I know that it might spoil the aesthetics, but try raising the tweeters up to ear level ... piles of books would do it to trial it ... or, simply sit on the floor. Mine are a whole other world when you get your ears at the right level (listening near/mid-field).
    Agree wholeheartedly on tweeter height.

The other thing to watch (widely reported, though I've never had this myself as I've never owned the new range) is that the Prestige range can be a bit restrained out of the box and seem to open up considerably what can be a fairly extended break-in. I did experience something the same after a Lockwood re-cone of my Golds.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Up to a point, in smaller boxes .... it's true the HPD315s don't give of their best in small enclosures, but in large cabinets they are, to my mind, better the the 15in Monitor Gold in terms of sweetness, impact, detail retrieval, and go just as low if not lower. (Having owned both in multiple cabinets).

The 12in MGs are very sweet but don't have the bass of the HPD315 or the 15in MGs.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly on tweeter height.

The other thing to watch (widely reported, though I've never had this myself as I've never owned the new range) is that the Prestige range can be a bit restrained out of the box and seem to open up considerably what can be a fairly extended break-in. I did experience something the same after a Lockwood re-cone of my Golds.

Up to a point, in smaller boxes .... it's true the HPD315s don't give of their best in small enclosures, but in large cabinets they are, to my mind, better the the 15in Monitor Gold in terms of sweetness, impact, detail retrieval, and go just as low if not lower. (Having owned both in multiple cabinets).

The 12in MGs are very sweet but don't have the bass of the HPD315 or the 15in MGs.
    Hi Tom, tweeters are at the correct height and as they are second hand (and mint) they don't need break in.

Spent last night listening to a wide range of music. I realise there is better further up the food chain (depending on system etc) so I'm not going to say they are the 'perfect' speaker. But in contrast to the similarly priced Ane's there simply isn't any comparison in any respect.

Being fed with the class A Hiraga they sing and are way more resolving than the audio notes. Detail in percussion is amazing with new details emerging on favourite tracks across the audible spectrum. Bass is in another league - deep, clean and articulate. Presence is astonishing - but not bright - images aren't pushed out into the room which can happen if there's an artificial lift in the mid.

But it's the soundstage that truly suprises. It really is like listening to a different technology compared to the Ane's - it's actually shocking.

I haven't felt the need to fiddle with the level controls - they're at 'level' and in my room that is perfect.

Do I have plans to take them further?
    Yes - ive already spoken to Paul at RFC about better external crossovers - and will be adding a supertweeter. But not yet. Right now I'm in love and enjoying the romance.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Geoff.

What you are hearing through the midrange is due to the ultra fast transient response of the central compression driver tweeter, in combination with the horn loading, part of which is actually formed by the bass cone. It allows the tiniest details and ambient clues to be resolved.

It's a Tannoy thing and quite remarkable in my view. I can think of no other speaker that does this the same way. I find it immensely appealing, hence my 'addiction' to Tannoy dual concentrics for the last forty or more years.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Yes - I agree - utterly remarkable.

Listen to this album by Ana Brun and the kensingtons blow you away.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

Bigman80 Guest

How does the Goodman 201 Axiom compare Geoff? Read a review on TNT that the guy preferred the Axioms. Saying that, he's got a Jolida phonostage so he could be as deaf as me lol

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast