+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy question

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    My particular speaker prejudice is that whenever I see electrostatic speakers, they will be tonally 'thin', uninvolving, lack dynamics, with ridiculous hyper-real soundstaging effects. Hate them
    Not in my experience, save perhaps the limited dynamics. But I'm going off topic here.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Still getting to know these remarkable speakers and also having to change the system to accommodate them. The big SE Cary's sound awful wth them (might be up for sale shortly) whilst the class A Hiraga 20 watter sounds fantastic - and I'm currently wrestling wth speaker cables. The isoldas were perfectly suited to the Ane's and the valve amps but with SS and the kensingtons I'm not so sure.....
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Still getting to know these remarkable speakers and also having to change the system to accommodate them. The big SE Cary's sound awful wth them (might be up for sale shortly) whilst the class A Hiraga 20 watter sounds fantastic - and I'm currently wrestling wth speaker cables. The isoldas were perfectly suited to the Ane's and the valve amps but with SS and the kensingtons I'm not so sure.....
    They don't need tons of welly but they do need about 20w+ of nice clean push pull with a strong bottom end ... totally recommend Petrat's EAR 861, or a Radford STA25 from Radford Revival.

I'm Adrian.

I've thought about petrats ear but I wontt be in a position to replace the amp until November.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Josie.

Yes... I wouldn't use the SE amp with them. They need a good push-pull amp. Speaker cable wise, I use twisted (two cables twisted) of Van Damme black 4mm on each side. I'm blown away with them.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I tend to agree; ie conventional single ended not being the best partner for the Kensingtons, However; I have always used mine with my own hibrid Soul single ended amps, and anyone who have heard them' I am sure would agree that they work very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Yes... I wouldn't use the SE amp with them. They need a good push-pull amp. Speaker cable wise, I use twisted (two cables twisted) of Van Damme black 4mm on each side. I'm blown away with them.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    I tend to agree; ie conventional single ended not being the best partner for the Kensingtons, However; I have always used mine with my own hibrid Soul single ended amps, and anyone who have heard them' I am sure would agree that they work very well.
    What would you say makes them different Anthony? What do they measure at in terms of damping factor/output impedance ?

Hi Tom,
    The soul amps [without going into detail of their circuit design] are very diffrent to conventional SE in a couple of key areas, ie; they have a wider' flat frequency bandwidth, better damping factor, and have exceptionaly low noise floor.
    This amounts to the Soul amps being able to control and drive speakers in a similar way to push-pull while still maintaining some of the better virtues of single ended.
    Hope this helps.
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    What would you say makes them different Anthony? What do they measure at in terms of damping factor/output impedance ?
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I'm Geoff.

The humble (but very good) Transparent Audio Musichord speaker cable works superbly with Tannoys. Although I have many cables to choose from, the Musichord is now the only cable I use with them. No longer available new, but occasionally offered second hand. Rare though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

For years I was using an individualy insulated multistrand cable, which for the life of me' I cannot remember who made it, then for a few years I went over to Townshend, then the last few years with Telurium black, now I have gone full circle' back to the unknown brand cable, and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised how good that cable is, even though my system has gone through some major changes since last using this cable, going back to it was like coming home, and I think I will be sticking with it for the forseable future, just goes to show that diffrent isnt always better.
    Jez is now probably laughing, while choking on his cornflakes reading this.
    A...
    Nikola Tesla

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast