+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy question

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    How does the Goodman 201 Axiom compare Geoff?
    It doesn't.

It's a twin cone unit, not a dual concentric. I'm familiar with what these old Goodmans units can do and whilst they are fun, they don't remotely compete.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

I knew you'd know, Geoff. Best avoided?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I knew you'd know, Geoff. Best avoided?
    As I say, the Goodmans are fun and at the right money, OK to play with.

Try and find somebody with a really good system who uses big Tannoys and ask them for a listen. Then you'll see!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Ok, anyone in the West Midlands with big Tannoys?

I'm Grant.

Think the Tannoys are a case of love or hate. I quite liked the ones Ive heard but can understand why some wouldnt. At least they are fairly efficient and dont need huge reserves of power to work, although they will improve a bit if you have some extra welly. My speakers are extremely efficient but still work a bit better with a bigger amp, Current reserve wise
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi All,
    A little tale of Tannoy woes.
    Before I had the Kensington's, I had a pair of Glenairs, And I have to say; even though they are from the Tannoy Dual concentric range, they were amongst the worst speakers I had heard in my system, bright, brash, in your face,and tonally unbalanced etc, nothing I did with them made them listenable in my system, the final straw came when My wife who is usually of a calm, and laid back manner' threatened to do them harm after having being subjected to hours of tiresome sonic torture from me fiddling with them, trying aimlessly to get them to perform even acceptable. It was then that I knew it wasn’t just me experiencing what I was clearly hearing!
    Safe to say, we parted company soon after' me and the speakers that is; After receiving the Kensington’s direct from Tannoy, ie; brand new, not run etc, I first unpacked them, sat them on the floor in my room, and asked my wife to sit and have the first listen, if she didn’t like them from the start, I knew keeping them after that, that I would be on a hiding to nothing, so after the track had finished, the silence was deafening, [cant remember now what it was at the time] I asked her what she thought, and I quote, "yes, their good" which as you can imagine was music to my ears, as that was also my first impression of them, after a bit of time they got better with every month that passed, until they finally got to the steady state they seem to be at now.
    My point of this story is; not all Dual concentric are made equal.
    As usual, just my ramblings, and my own personal experiences.
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What you are hearing through the midrange is due to the ultra fast transient response of the central compression driver tweeter, in combination with the horn loading, part of which is actually formed by the bass cone. It allows the tiniest details and ambient clues to be resolved.

It's a Tannoy thing and quite remarkable in my view. I can think of no other speaker that does this the same way. I find it immensely appealing, hence my 'addiction' to Tannoy dual concentrics for the last forty or more years.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    I had a pair of Glenairs, And I have to say; even though they are from the Tannoy Dual concentric range, they were amongst the worst speakers I had heard in my system
    The Glenair employs a Tulip Waveguide drive tweeter, not a compression driver. That makes a big difference.

The dual concentric in the Kensington, is a descendant of the excellent HPD 295 design.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Hi Tom, tweeters are at the correct height and as they are second hand (and mint) they don't need break in.

Spent last night listening to a wide range of music. I realise there is better further up the food chain (depending on system etc) so I'm not going to say they are the 'perfect' speaker. But in contrast to the similarly priced Ane's there simply isn't any comparison in any respect.

Being fed with the class A Hiraga they sing and are way more resolving than the audio notes. Detail in percussion is amazing with new details emerging on favourite tracks across the audible spectrum. Bass is in another league - deep, clean and articulate. Presence is astonishing - but not bright - images aren't pushed out into the room which can happen if there's an artificial lift in the mid.

But it's the soundstage that truly suprises. It really is like listening to a different technology compared to the Ane's - it's actually shocking.

I haven't felt the need to fiddle with the level controls - they're at 'level' and in my room that is perfect.

Do I have plans to take them further?
    Yes - ive already spoken to Paul at RFC about better external crossovers - and will be adding a supertweeter. But not yet. Right now I'm in love and enjoying the romance.
    Nice one. Get someone to run them in for you AND take the depreciation hit. What could be better?

montesquieu Guest

Ok, anyone in the West Midlands with big Tannoys?
    Paul Coupe (RFC) isn't that far away, off the M5 south of Gloucester.

You are of course welcome to trek to the soft south and hear mine.

Bigman80 Guest

Cheers, Tom. I can get to the main cities pretty easily due to having free rail travel so let's see what opens up!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast