+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: The vinyl illusion ?

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Speaking to parents about this, it seems the main cause is paranoia over kiddy fiddlers and Madeleine Mcann style abductions. I know people who won't even let their children play in their own back garden unsupervised. Now these are not stupid people and they know how small the chance of it happening is. But if they took a chance and it happened they would never be able to forgive themselves. So they won't take any chances.
    Another factor is of course the huge increase in road traffic since I were a lad. We could 'play out' in the street all day, with only a handful of cars stopping play. Even crossing main roads was no big deal, as there were often long gaps in the traffic allowing you to nip across. It's definitely the case that paranoia has increased though, and I wasn't immune as a parent.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Shyness or lack thereof is partly down to genetics, and partly down to upbringing. Some children were shy when I was young, so it's hardly a new phenomenon (indeed, way back in the eighteenth century Jane Austen commented to her sister that children were much less shy than when they were young). People often comment on how 'mouthy' children are these days, compared to the good old days when children didn't speak unless they were spoken to, would never dream of 'answering back' to their parents etc etc. It all illustrates the danger of sticking big labels on people, ignoring the fact that we're all different, that such differences have been there throughout history, and probably always will be there.
    Yes, I agree, but it's not about sticking big labels on people; it's about commenting on the world around you, and observing what you largely see in everyday life, which is all I'm doing.

I agree that some kids are "mouthy", but "mouthy", in the context I'm taking from what you've written, is a rather different thing from confident and outgoing!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, I agree, but it's not about sticking big labels on people; it's about commenting on the world around you, and observing what you largely see in everyday life, which is all I'm doing.

I agree that some kids are "mouthy", but "mouthy", in the context I'm taking from what you've written, is a rather different thing from confident and outgoing!

Marco.
    Nah, 'confident and outgoing kids' = mouthy brats. Give 'em a clip around the earhole.

Lol, yes, very good!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I have no objection whatsoever to anyone doing what they want (legally), including smoking, providing I'm not indirectly forced to partake in their activity. So smoke away, as long as I don't have to inhale it or have my clothes stinking of fags, after a night out in a pub, where I all want to do is enjoy a drink (and possibly eat some food).

You see that is where you are going wrong. The pubs I am talking about would never serve food, you'd be lucky if they even had crisps or nuts. Everyone who went into those pubs smoked, so did the landlord/landlady and the barstaff. No-one had a problem with it and if some preppy type wandered in by accident he soon wandered out again. So it harmed no-one.

I've smoked in some of those pubs since the smoking ban, because there was no-one in there who would grass the landlord up. But they have since all closed down.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    They should ban non smokers from pubs. it's done harm to the great British pub and most regular drinkers are smokers anyway. I would always blow smoke on any twat who had the temerity to complain of my smoking even though I was outside!
    You'd get a smack in the face if you blew smoke in mine
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Jez.

Jez, you know I like you [I do], but sometimes you write stuff that makes you come across as a selfish, inconsiderate arrogant twat, and I'm sorry, but the above is a case in point!

I have no objection whatsoever to anyone doing what they want (legally), including smoking, providing I'm not indirectly forced to partake in their activity. So smoke away, as long as I don't have to inhale it or have my clothes stinking of fags, after a night out in a pub, where I all want to do is enjoy a drink (and possibly eat some food).

Thankfully the smoking ban has eradicated the above, and now other non-smokers and I can exercise our right to breathe fresh air, and not go home smelling like an ashtray!!

Of course, the proper way to have dealt with the situation, rather than imposing an outright ban, would've been for the government to have given grants to pubs, which allowed them to build proper segregated areas between smokers and non-smokers, so that both sets of needs were catered for.

However, that's bloody self-serving governments for you, who'd rather spend money on creating financial perks for the rich or on arms to further pointless wars, than making the lives of ordinary people that bit nicer!

Marco.
    I mean every word of it. People who have a problem with me smoking EVEN THOUGH I'M OUTSIDE can shove it where the sun don't shine and fuck of while they're doing it.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    You'd get a smack in the face if you blew smoke in mine
    If you complained to me about my smoking when I'm outside then fight on pal.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm paul.

I mean every word of it. People who have a problem with me smoking EVEN THOUGH I'M OUTSIDE can shove it where the sun don't shine and fuck of while they're doing it.
    what a lovely bloke, here's hoping I never meet you.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Then like Paul said, you'd get the smack in the mouth you richly deserved. I think you should quit now and leave it there, Jez, as selfish, arrogant louts aren't welcome on AoS, so I wouldn't like to think that you were one!

Whether you were outside or not, matters not a jot *if*, for any reason I still have to inhale your smoke, as sometimes happens depending on how the wind is blowing or the set-up outside a particular pub. I also shouldn't be forced to walk past (or on top of) filthy fag ends chucked on the ground, simply because some smokers are too lazy to use the provided ashtrays!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast