+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: The vinyl illusion ?

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think it's a perfectly good analogy. Shaun's an excellent photographer (I love his work), and so no doubt cares very much about the final quality of his images.

However, it would be interesting to know if he applies equal amounts of attention to detail/diligence with his hi-fi hobby as he does with his photographic one

Marco.
    Mmmm... let me think...! I am probably as OCD about my sound system as I am about the appearance of my finished images. The thing is though that I became highly disillusioned with trad photography and so moved over to digital whereby I can be massively more expressive and creative with monochrome. Now I certainly do appreciate Marco's previous comments about my images going back quite a few years but I have been let loose with a huge dollop of creativity that I never had with trad means. Regarding the finished article, my images will only ever be seen the way I want them to. I do not sell pieces of paper with an image on them to be put into a Godawful gold frame.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    So after 300 posts are you any the wiser Shaun?
    No...!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I thought that was just marketing ... so what is creative about switching an amplifier on and playing a record? Am I missing something here?
    Lol - that's an in-depth subject that would take some time to answer properly, which right now I don't have. So we'll save that for another day. However, if you don't 'get' why it *is* a creative process, then you've missed much of what AoS has been about since its inception...

Out of interest, are you a left side of the brain or right side of the brain, kind of guy? Your answer to that may explain a lot!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Obviously.

There's the mystical ritual involved in removing a record from its sleeve, handling it by the edges to avoid fingerprints, placing it on the platter, checking the VTA, then slowly lowering the stylus into the groove, sitting back in your reclining chair, tapping your foot as the music starts, reading through the sleeve-notes and admiring the Roger Dean artwork on the cover, listening out for the bit where the drummer hums along, then wondering if maybe a change of speaker cable would help reveal whether his humming is in fact out of tune, then mentally composing a forum post asking for advice about this. As a piece of performance art, there's more creativity in there than in all the Turner prizewinners put together.
    You'll be telling me next that a DJ is a fucking musician

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Lol - that's an in-depth subject that would take some time to answer properly, which right now I don't have. So we'll save that for another day. However, if you don't 'get' why it is a creative process, then you've missed much of what AoS is about since its inception...

Out of interest, are you a left side of the brain or right side of the brain, kind of guy? Your answer to that may explain a lot!

Marco.
    What's the connection to some far fetched and outdated thinking methodology?
    https://www.healthline.com/health/le...-brain-theory2
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Marco.
    No idea but doing complex maths makes my brain hurt. And I'm crap at arty things like music and painting. Thank God I was born here as in most other countries of the world I would have starved to death by now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    You'll be telling me next that a DJ is a fucking musician

Not after the session the DJ presented on Saturday night at the wedding reception we went to. He was more like a fucking comedian.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No idea but doing complex maths makes my brain hurt. And I'm crap at arty things like music and painting. Thank God I was born here as in most other countries of the world I would have starved to death by now.
    I'm good at daydreaming and procrastination.

I'm Shaun.

The best advice I have ever been given was to only tell people what you want them to know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/04/he...y.html?mcubz=1

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Not after the session the DJ presented on Saturday night at the wedding reception we went to. He was more like a fucking comedian.
    Was he using an SL1210...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast