+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The vinyl illusion ?

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    The continued growth of vinyl may well by now mean that new lathes and presses are being built, but I fail to see how anything but driving the coils of the cutter head from a power amplifier would make any sense. I can see that it is certainly possible that said power amps could be driven by a "digital pre-amp" and DAC from the digital master recording, and that the RIAA EQ could be applied digitally in this "digital pre-amp", but the signal from the DAC would still be analogue to the power amps, which then drive the cutting head.

If "everything I thought I knew about disc cutting" has been supplanted by some new digital technique I've never heard of in the last few years then I will stand corrected...
    I think that's the point Macca was making - the signal may have been an analogue recording initially, and it may be an analogue signal that drives the lathe, but there's an A/D conversion required to get the signal into the lathe's "digital pre-amp" and then a D/A conversion required to drive the lathe's power amps.

Here's an episode of How It's Made showing a cutting lathe and the digital bit involved
    https://youtu.be/wqJ0ouQScM8?t=223
    Of course, there must be all-analogue lathes in use too.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think that's the point Macca was making - the signal may have been an analogue recording initially, and it may be an analogue signal that drives the lathe, but there's an A/D conversion required to get the signal into the lathe's "digital pre-amp" and then a D/A conversion required to drive the lathe's power amps.

Here's an episode of How It's Made showing a cutting lathe and the digital bit involved
    So if we want all analogue recordings today we need to get our R2R's down to the local folk club/choral society/buskers night with some good quality microphones and get used to "Pete and Steve cover some Dylan tracks" rather than big name artists... (I have done this BTW and have some good recordings from it).

I would have thought it likely that many of the audiophile record companies will still be using all analogue.. even mainly valved, but this is a small proportion of the music available and not always to ones tastes...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    So if we want all analogue recordings today we need to get our R2R's down to the local folk club/choral society/buskers night with some good quality microphones and get used to "Pete and Steve cover some Dylan tracks" rather than big name artists... (I have done this BTW and have some good recordings from it).
    What were you carrying. A Uher or Nagra?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post

Yes, that was my point.

I do recall reading not so long ago about a completely new method of cutting records that is a lot less messy than a lathe and far more accurate. Can't recall the details but it was similar to 3D printing. Digital conversion was still required, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

I have an apparently all analogue vinyl LP by a band named Ondatropica which is one of Will Holland or Quantic's offshoots. Can't comment on it as it is still sealed

I'm Martin.

I have a 1967 pressing of Aretha Live in Paris. Older than me, that would have been cut on an analogue lathe so as pure as the driven snow. Also my pressing of Led Zep II is from '71, as free from digital sin as the Virgin Mary. Must have a few others as well.

Is there anything about the sound of these records that makes them stand out from their soiled and sullied digital-lathed brethren? The heretical answer is a no.

I shall now return to my catechism. Amen.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I have an Edison wax phonograph cylinder of Caruso, cut in 1907, but unfortunately it is a digitally remastered version. Says so on the tin!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What were you carrying. A Uher or Nagra?
    Lugging a ReVox PR99 MkIII (15 ips half track) and all other kit from the boot of then girlfriends car... Rode and AKG condenser mics and Yamaha mixing desk

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have an Edison wax phonograph cylinder of Caruso, cut in 1907, but unfortunately it is a digitally remastered version. Says so on the tin!
    Ah but craftsmen had to carve each 0 and 1 with a chisel in them days...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast