+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: The vinyl illusion ?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I know you're being somewhat facetious, but the question you have to ask is WHY is that all they've got??

When I was that age, I had both parents who cared about me, and who took me all over the place with them on trips out to the seaside or countryside, and friends I interacted with in REAL life, by playing football with them in the park, going out on long cycles together, listening to music and all sorts. In the summer time I was never in!

These days, that simply doesn't seem to happen, and kids are cooped up inside glued to their phones or xbox, often grossly overweight because of a lack of exercise, and as a result suffer from low self-esteem or ADHD, and you have ask yourself WHY that is..... What has caused such a wholesale change in the world we live in??

Marco.
    Speaking to parents about this, it seems the main cause is paranoia over kiddy fiddlers and Madeleine Mcann style abductions. I know people who won't even let their children play in their own back garden unsupervised. Now these are not stupid people and they know how small the chance of it happening is. But if they took a chance and it happened they would never be able to forgive themselves. So they won't take any chances.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Speaking to parents about this, it seems the main cause is paranoia over kiddy fiddlers and Madeleine Mcann style abductions. I know people who won't even let their children play in their own back garden unsupervised. Now these are not stupid people and they know how small the chance of it happening is. But if they took a chance and it happened they would never be able to forgive themselves. So they won't take any chances.

I remember reading a while back that the incidence of kiddy fiddling/abductions per head of population is pretty much the same now as it was fifty years ago. However the increased media coverage has given rise to the paranoia we see now.

My Mum took me to my first day at Primary School. I was on my own from then on!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I know you're being somewhat facetious, but the question you have to ask is WHY is that ALL they've got??

When I was that age, I had both parents who cared about me, and who took me all over the place with them on trips out to the seaside or countryside, and friends I interacted with in REAL life, by playing football with them in the park, going out on long cycles together, listening to music and all sorts. In the summer time I was never in!

These days, that simply doesn't seem to happen, and kids are cooped up inside glued to their phones or xbox, often grossly overweight because of a lack of exercise, and as a result suffer from low self-esteem or ADHD, and you have ask yourself WHY that is..... What has caused such a wholesale change in the world we live in??

Marco.
    Maybe some, I agree(perhaps too many actually) but not all by far. My grandkids are out playing or out with parents etc. Parents rarely get any time to themselves, not that they mind, and thats the way is should be.
    Actually their pals are all slim and fit too so its deffo not rife everywhere, but I do see way more fat kids than you used to see.
    Think we had 1 fat kid at school and he got teased badly but did lose weight.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    They should ban non smokers from pubs. it's done harm to the great British pub and most regular drinkers are smokers anyway. I would always blow smoke on any twat who had the temerity to complain of my smoking even though I was outside!
    Jez, you know I like you [I do], but sometimes you write stuff that makes you come across as a selfish, inconsiderate arrogant twat, and I'm sorry, but the above is a case in point!

I have no objection whatsoever to anyone doing what they want (legally), including smoking, providing I'm not indirectly forced to partake in their activity. So smoke away, as long as I don't have to inhale it or have my clothes stinking of fags, after a night out in a pub, where I all want to do is enjoy a drink (and possibly eat some food).

Thankfully the smoking ban has eradicated the above, and now other non-smokers and I can exercise our right to breathe fresh air, and not go home smelling like an ashtray!!

Of course, the proper way to have dealt with the situation, rather than imposing an outright ban, would've been for the government to have given grants to pubs, which allowed them to build proper segregated areas between smokers and non-smokers, so that both sets of needs were catered for.

However, that's bloody self-serving governments for you, who'd rather spend money on creating financial perks for the rich or on arms to further pointless wars, than making the lives of ordinary people that bit nicer!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They aint doing their kids any favours doing that. You have to age grade what they are allowed to do and where to go, and you have to talk to them reminding them on protocol etc.
    I know its a worry but you risk a lot more damage wrapping them in cotton wool
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, wrapping them up in cotton wool isn't the answer, as then they simply don't learn any proper life skills, so it's no wonder so many youngsters today are shy and introverted, rather than confident and outgoing, certainly as I was at their age - and there are valid reasons for that.

The key is to spend more TIME with your kids and supervise them properly, which might be possible if both parents didn't have to work often ridiculous hours to pay a huge mortgage...

When I grew up, my mum was always at home, looking after the house and me, while dad was at work. That sort of set up is rarely seen these days, because of the pressures of modern life, and *that* is the main problem in all of this.

Also, the reality is, all of what you were referring to [child abduction, etc] was rife 'back in the day', Martin, but it simply wasn't in the spotlight as much, and hence reported on... So in reality, we were no safer then than kids are now!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    I gave up working as a project engineer and went back on the tools self employed due to the utter bullshit talked by these young up and coming stab you in the back twats I had to sit through meetings with.
    Oh Paul, I so 'connect' with you on this one...!

I'm Shaun.

Yeah, smokers should be gassed rather more quickly than they actually are doing. I drink loads of beer. My by product is urine. I'm guessing it would be OK to piss all over people because they smoke all over every fucker else...?

I'm joe.

Shyness or lack thereof is partly down to genetics, and partly down to upbringing. Some children were shy when I was young, so it's hardly a new phenomenon (indeed, way back in the eighteenth century Jane Austen commented to her sister that children were much less shy than when they were young). People often comment on how 'mouthy' children are these days, compared to the good old days when children didn't speak unless they were spoken to, would never dream of 'answering back' to their parents etc etc. It all illustrates the danger of sticking big labels on people, ignoring the fact that we're all different, that such differences have been there throughout history, and probably always will be there.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Yeah, smokers should be gassed rather more quickly than they actually are doing. I drink loads of beer. My by product is urine. I'm guessing it would be OK to piss all over people because they smoke all over every fucker else...?
    So it's you and Marco (in the pissing corner) versus Jez and Macca (in the smoking corner). They could sell tickets for that, show it live on Sky Sports maybe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast