+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: The vinyl illusion ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I find all this rhetoric about 'being involved' with things slightly weird when a) we're discussing it virtually on convenient computers that (mostly) 'just work' and b) we're talking about sitting on our backsides listening to music rather than about actually doing anything.
    So you consider that having the TIME to sit back and relax listening to some music, and enjoy yourself, free at that point from anyone making demands of you, is "doing nothing"? Interesting... How about enriching your soul and making you HAPPY? Is that "nothing"?

So does the same apply when you're sitting back reading a book, listening to the radio, watching TV or indulging in any other pleasures in life? You can "sit on your backside" and still achieve something good and very worthwhile, especially if it helps you de-stress... Think about that, and what has been reported recently as being one of the biggest killers of mankind.

And some of us, I'm sure you included, actually 'do' plenty of other stuff, by getting off our backsides, which puts us in touch with the real world, gardening and foreign travel are but two for me - and I can do these things because I have earned having the required TIME to control how *I* wish to live my life!

I am not under pressure to do anything that I don't want to do, which unlike so many folks today, gives me the TIME to enjoy the simple pleasures of life, and which for me is priceless.

I would hazard an alternative guess; that 'we' make these choices in part at least because we fall for the advertising meme that says, in effect, 'Look at this hand-crafted expensive Swiss watch/fountain pen/whatever. Buy one, and you will show the world how sophisticated you are.'
    Sure, and as I've said, that's why so many folks today have become hapless victims of consumerism, defined by the material possessions they own, instead of what *really* makes them who they are as people.

I fully agree that engagement with the real world is A Good Thing, but the idea that using a fountain pen as opposed to a ballpoint pen, or vinyl records as opposed to streaming or CDs helps you do this is simply laughable.
    Why so? I guess it all depends on how your mind works. When was the last time that most of us used ANY kind of pen to write a letter to someone, instead of typing it up on a computer and sending it via email?

How many of us will be sending 'virtual' Christmas cards this year to our friends and family, as opposed to the real thing, hand-written with a pen and posted with a stamp, if indeed we're liable to send any at all...?

There is no doubt that that the former (and latter) is more personal and 'human', *but* it requires some TIME and EFFORT to do, which are two commodities that are sadly lacking in today's society.

And if you don't 'get' how owning and playing vinyl records engages you more with the real world (and crucially with yourself as a person), than the likes of streaming, then I think that says quite a lot about you.

When you have the time (no pun intended, wink wink), you should watch this video of Michael Fremer's, in which he neatly defines what makes vinyl records a uniquely engaging and 'human' thing:

And if I still have to explain it to you afterwards, then you really are a lost cause!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If you can categorically prove that it's nonsense, then feel free to support your view with the relevant evidence [and it needs to be conclusive], otherwise it's simply your opinion, which is no more authoritative than Jim's.

Marco.
    Correct Marco. That's exactly the point I'm making.

Now, regarding indisputable relevant evidence. Please read post #349. There's a sprinkling of fact in there seasoned with a large dose of received wisdom. If that had been presented as an opinion I would have disagreed, but respected it. Presenting it as an apparent statement of fact is a whole different ballgame.

This is a really interesting thread, but when it comes to the subject in question, it's mostly opinion that's going to be chewed over. Facts are thin on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Correct Marco. That's exactly the point I'm making.

Now, regarding indisputable relevant evidence. Please read post #349. There's a sprinkling of fact in there seasoned with a large dose of received wisdom. If that had been presented as an opinion I would have disagreed, but respected it. Presenting it as an apparent statement of fact is a whole different ballgame.

This is a really interesting thread, but when it comes to the subject in question, it's mostly opinion that's going to be chewed over. Facts are thin on the ground.
    I'm largely in agreement with you Hugh, and in that instance perhaps Jim should've inserted 'IMHO' at the beginning, or phased his post to make it more obvious that it was simply his view.

However, there's an unwritten rule on forums, certainly here (which if you weren't aware of, please bear in mind in future), that *anything* posted, unless specifically stated otherwise, or is the words of a qualified professional discussing his or her area of expertise, is simply personal opinion.

Realistically, as Jim wasn't qualified in this instance to state facts, how could it have been anything else but simply his view, albeit based on something he'd read? Anyway, it's something for you to bear in mind in future, unless we're to continually plaster our posts all over with 'IMO' or 'IMHO', when it should be taken for granted that's all it is

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm largely in agreement with you Hugh, and in that instance perhaps Jim should've inserted 'IMHO' at the beginning, or phased his post to make it more obvious that it was simply his view.

However, there's an unwritten rule on forums, certainly here (which if you weren't aware of, please bear in mind in future), that *anything* posted, unless specifically stated otherwise, or is the words of a qualified professional discussing his or her area of expertise, is simply personal opinion.

Realistically, as Jim wasn't qualified in this instance to state facts, how could it have been anything else but simply his view, albeit based on something he'd read? Anyway, it's something for you to bear in mind in future, unless we're to continually plaster our posts all over with 'IMO' or 'IMHO', when it should be taken for granted that's all it is

Marco.
    And I'm largely in agreement with your reply.(ok, I could nitpick but life's too short )

Anyhow, moving on...

Nice one. That's exactly how these sorts of matters should be amicably resolved

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I fully agree that engagement with the real world is A Good Thing, but the idea that using a fountain pen as opposed to a ballpoint pen, or vinyl records as opposed to streaming or CDs helps you do this is simply laughable.
    Yes, agree but then what is 'engagement with the real World'...? It kind of sounds like another statement of corporate bollocks like 'going forward'.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Yes, agree but then what is 'engagement with the real World'...? It kind of sounds like another statement of corporate bollocks like 'going forward'.
    "Going forward"
    That is truly one of most popular "means nothing but sounds quite good" phrases at the moment. I wonder if it will crop up at any of this autumn's political party conferences.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    "Going forward"
    That is truly one of most popular "means nothing but sounds quite good" phrases at the moment. I wonder if it will crop up at any of this autumn's political party conferences.
    I would say it is inevitable. Reminds me of when I was 'empowered'

That was utter bollocks as well.

I'm Grant.

then there is "pushing the envelope", although why one would want to Ive no idea.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Don't get me started on that one. I had to deal with Health Authorities in another life, and the amount of utterly vacuous oral diahorrea they could spout was mind-boggling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast