+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Beresford replacement for Caiman 2 SEG?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    I'm still happily using my SEG with the Longdog LPSU. As I'm using it as a preamp/headphone amp now as well as a DAC there are a couple of things I'd like to see in the next version:

1. An analogue input so I can hook up some vintage gear, turntables, cassette decks etc. The volume control in the SEG is very good (and analogue I believe), so that would save me installing another box.
    2. The ability to run off a 19v PSU. I bought the 12v rather than 15v Longdog PSU and can move that to something else if I upgrade the DAC later, but 15v is a bit odd to invest in. A 19v PSU is more flexible and would likely drive my HD800 even better.
    3. Direct access input selection, so I don't have to keep flicking through inputs to get to the one I want.

Sound quality is fine as it is, so its just flexibility and greater headphone power I'm looking for now.
    I spent time looking at the idea of a analogue input, but A to D conversion of the type that I was looking at for cost reasons have been sabotaged by the sale of Wolfson to to Cyrus. They scrapped the cheap solutions, and increased the price on the others. It is cheaper to buy an A to D converter and connect it to the SEG. That's exactly what I do...
    2. I have a modified sample of the SEG that works on a higher voltage. Drives my HD800 and one of my mate's LCD headphones to ear burning levels. But personally I am a bit worried of damaging anyone's hearing with that sort of volume levels.
    3. Technically that isn't difficult to do, and something to consider if enough people would find it beneficial.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    What I am doing is trying to complete some of the other projects that many have asked me to try to provide a solution to over the years. The first one is hidden away on my site at http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7210.htm
    I'll cover the reason for that product at a later date.
    Oh wow! An amplifier selector.
    Me want!

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Oh wow! An amplifier selector.
    Me want!
    I have a production sample if you want to give it a try. I am waiting for the packaging and printed instructions to be completed. Just PM or email me .

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I have a production sample if you want to give it a try. I am waiting for the packaging and printed instructions to be completed. Just PM or email me .
    Thanks Stan!

-- but I've since been pondering the interconnect and speaker cabling requirements for your clever box of tricks.
    Cable nutter that I am I can't set up a cable arrangement which would give both amps an equal opportunity to perform well at the same time.
    My interest was in using the 7210 as an amplifier comparator box, and without equivalent cabling to and from each amp it won't really work for me and I don't want to invest the substantial sums required to double up on my cabling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12