+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Beresford replacement for Caiman 2 SEG?

I'm Alex.

Default New Beresford replacement for Caiman 2 SEG?

Hi Stan,

Just wondering if there is a secret "Project X" replacement coming up for the Caiman 2 SEG?

I'm gone.

There are sometimes reasons for keeping new product secret.
    I read once of a small firm that talked up its planned future product - sales of current items stalled waiting on the new one, and the new one couldn't then be produced as there was no money to do it with!

I'm Alex.

Fair enough. Having owned 3 Stan Dacs....current is C2 with all mods and enjoyed the sonic gains with each new model, I am naturally curious to see if there is new one to be announced in the foreseeable future.

I'm Gary.

If your happy with your current modded C2, I'd be sitting back enjoying your music.
    Knowing Stan, no doubt he'll be tinkering away in Beresford Skunkworks on the next one.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm gone.

If you are an established customer then drop Stan a line privately, rather than asking him to share his "secrets" in public.

I'm sure Stan will announce new product when and how he wants.

I'm AndrewR.

As a C2 owner who tends to wait a couple of upgrades before buying, I am regularly checking this forum for any hint of needing to start save up.

The C2 is an astonishing DAC, irrespective of its price. The SEG is supposed to be even better (not heard one). I'll be ready to throw my money at Stanley when the next one is release.

In the meantime I'm about to solder a lead to connect my new linear PSU to the Rpi's GPIO pins - bypassing its onboard noisy regulator and fuse. Hoping for a satisfactory upgrade there.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    As a C2 owner who tends to wait a couple of upgrades before buying, I am regularly checking this forum for any hint of needing to start save up.

The C2 is an astonishing DAC, irrespective of its price. The SEG is supposed to be even better (not heard one). I'll be ready to throw my money at Stanley when the next one is release.

In the meantime I'm about to solder a lead to connect my new linear PSU to the Rpi's GPIO pins - bypassing its onboard noisy regulator and fuse. Hoping for a satisfactory upgrade there.

Andrew
    That's my take too. I was hoping for the rumour mill to give me a hint as well

I'm Tony.

Never heard the previous incarnations.

However, I have a SEG that sounds lovely and I have never found myself wondering if I should get something else.

That has to be the highest recommendation as I'm often wondering about changing other kit downstream!
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Andy.

I'm still happily using my SEG with the Longdog LPSU. As I'm using it as a preamp/headphone amp now as well as a DAC there are a couple of things I'd like to see in the next version:

1. An analogue input so I can hook up some vintage gear, turntables, cassette decks etc. The volume control in the SEG is very good (and analogue I believe), so that would save me installing another box.
    2. The ability to run off a 19v PSU. I bought the 12v rather than 15v Longdog PSU and can move that to something else if I upgrade the DAC later, but 15v is a bit odd to invest in. A 19v PSU is more flexible and would likely drive my HD800 even better.
    3. Direct access input selection, so I don't have to keep flicking through inputs to get to the one I want.

Sound quality is fine as it is, so its just flexibility and greater headphone power I'm looking for now.

Sorry for the delay in replying guys. I have been extremely tied up with my son's entry into uni.

I am not working on a new DAC right now. The SEG is proving to be quite successful, which has allowed me to recover the R&D costs, and reduce the price as a consequence. That's even though the £ has taken a battering in the last 15 months or so.

What I am doing is trying to complete some of the other projects that many have asked me to try to provide a solution to over the years. The first one is hidden away on my site at http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7210.htm
    I'll cover the reason for that product at a later date.

The other thing I am working on is to allow phones with a USB port to play back (reliably) through the SEG.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast