+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heating

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    mine is on all time but only comes on if it gets too cold. its the most efficient way ive found to keep house warmish without spending too much. if house gets too cold it can take an age to warm up
    I can't do that. I've a house full of people who can't be trusted not to interfere with thermostats etc.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

ave temp here over last 24 hrs was 9c. too cold not to have heating on tbh. overnight it dropped to 5c
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dan.

Yup; ours is on now for an hour each morning (6am till 7am)

The house soon warms up and the front of the house especially, with the sun on it all day, warms up uber fast.

Still; it was 5.5ºC here overnight and the house dropped to 17.9ºC, so heating kicked on automatically anyways as it's set to 18.2ºC

We've the fire all set and ready to be lit (had it on a few times so far), but it's warmed up a lot here now, so doubt it'll be used for another week or so yet!
    My Office : M2 Mac Mini Pro > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via Apple Music > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > Arcam Alpha 10 integrated > B&W 602 S3s or AE109 speakers - Van Damme cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It's currently 14°C here (outside), and hasn't dropped below 13°C yet during the day, since summer ended (in a real sense), so defo still no need for any heating, as we're perfectly comfortable with this temperature. The house is old, with big thick walls, and very well insulated, so heat retention is good.

We get our annual delivery of logs in October, so the wood burner won't be getting lit before then, unless there's a considerable drop in temperature. Luckily Del doesn't feel the cold any more than I do, and even if she did, there'd have to be a compromise because, stuffy, overly warm rooms make me ill

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Ours came on this morning without our intervention (it's thermostat controlled). I only noticed because I put my hand on a radiator.

I'm Lawrence.

My wife turns the thermostat up several degrees when it gets chilly, I think she thinks it will get warmer quicker if she does that

I'm getting the winter quilts out of the loft tonight.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

It's f'ing cold here and dark and raining off and on. Depresses the heck out of me, the lack of sunshine. Our Winters are now 8 months of the year and yes, our heating has been on during the evening for the past week or so.

I'm Martin.

Yep Ive always said that people who enjoy winter are not paying the heating bills.

Winter makes me think of a large family house in Aberdeen with a warm kitchen where people gathered. Log fires in whichever room was mostly in use and coal deliveries My mum has tales of ice on the inside of the windows as they went upstairs with a hot water bottle

Grandad used to reach round and switch off the lights even if you were upstairs talking. A hand would just come round the door

To be fair I would not have liked to see his heating and utility bills.

I try and get used to the declining temperatures so my heating comes on as late in the year as possible. Heaven knows we get enough cold months of the year. I think we can get into a mode of feeling the cold too much. A work colleague used to say, keep active and toughen up. She would throw the windows open and embrace the fresh cold air but she was a bit of a nutter
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 21-09-2017 at 11:54.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Martin,

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yep Ive always said that people who enjoy winter are not paying the heating bills.
    Lol... I pay the bills, but I still enjoy winter! I enjoy all of the seasons, in different ways and for different reasons, particularly how the landscape outside changes accordingly.

In that respect, I love how our garden looks, covered in fluffy blankets of snow, or how interesting spiders webs appear, all glistening in the frost, just as much as I do when all the flowers are out in spring, or the beautifully rich, russet colours that autumn brings, and as winter approaches, crisp, frosty mornings when the sun is shining, which is much healthier for you than sweltering in the heat!

Maybe folks these days are too busy staring at their mobile phones, and running around the place like headless chickens, to even notice those things and how wonderful nature is?

I also find it somewhat therapeutic sitting watching the rain fall, from the the warmth and sanctuary of the indoors, and often love going outside and inhaling the freshness in the air, which the rain brings, or getting all wrapped up and going for a nice brisk walk, and then coming home and drying yourself off beside the fire. It's such a satisfying and comforting feeling!

Cold, dark winter nights, simply make me want to snuggle up beside the log fire, with a nice malt whisky, listening to some music with my wife, or watching a good movie together on the home-cinema system. Therefore, my mood and how I pass my time, simply alters depending on the season, and so I enjoy myself equally (but in different ways), no matter what time of the year it is.

Unless one suffers from SAD syndrome, which I appreciate and sympathise with, I don't really understand why one would be 'depressed', simply because it's dark and the weather is bad - you just adjust your behaviour accordingly

Winter makes me think of a large family house in Aberdeen with a warm kitchen where people gathered. Log fires in whichever room was mostly in use and coal deliveries My mum has tales of ice on the inside of the windows as they went upstairs with a hot water bottle
    Are those your own childhood memories? Sounds great! We have a log fire (wood burner) in the lounge, which really makes the room feel cosy in the winter, especially when the room is only candlelit, and from the glow of the fire. It's comforting sitting there watching the flickering flames and how they constantly move and change colour.

You don't get that with electric heaters!

I try and get used to the declining temperatures so my heating comes on as late in the year as possible. Heaven knows we get enough cold months of the year. I think we can get into a mode of feeling the cold too much. A work colleague used to say, keep active and toughen up. She would throw the windows open and embrace the fresh cold air but she was a bit of a nutter
    In terms of the bit in bold, us too! If you're healthy, you need to condition yourself as much as possible to function in different temperatures, particularly in lower ones, if you're living in the UK, without continually needing 'cosseted' by a central heating system, and like you say, 'toughen yourself up'.

That's one of the reasons why folk get so many colds, because they're so used to living in an unhealthy, falsely warm environment, which just isn't good for you.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

My heating is set to 18c in spring/ autumn period and 19c in winter. if it comes on its too cold, if it doesnt and Im feeling parky, I put a jersey on.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast