+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ace Space Tonearm Setup... How?

I'm Simon.

Still having issues with VTF, seems to be all over the place and not staying where I've set it at. Anti-skate I've no clue because there is no way the arm will sit in a blank space. Even if set to the max, it veers towards the centre label. I do notice a difference at lower levels as the pull inwards is much greater and at a faster pace. Currently set to around 5mm from the max.

Sounding OK though, although have my doubts due to not being 100% happy as of yet. Happy with the alignment though so that's something.

Hardly any info online about these arms, seem to keep seeing and reading the same 5-10 threads when searching google.

I'm Andy.

Hi Simon
    See you still having some issues with the setup of your Ace Space.
    Have noted a link below which may help, or have you seen it before.
    I have used an Ace Space previously and found it fairly easy to setup ok.
    A very capable tonearm, the only issues I had were a too heavy cartridge, as a solution so I could have the counter weight closer to the pivot point.
    I added some Blue Tak inside the weight, this allowed the weight to be closer to the pivot and reduced the inertia caused by the weigh being out a distance from the pivot.
    As for the Bias adjustment I had mine set to near it's minimum setting and found that gave best result for me.

http://www.edsstuff.org/docs/notting...manual_faq.pdf

Hope the above helps.

Andy
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm Simon.

Thanks for the info Andy. I have got the NA manual and while it has some good info I find it quite lacking in real in-depth set-up in certain areas (mainly the arm).

When you say anti-skate set to minimum, I assume that is the weight on the bottom of it's shaft?

I haven't touched the arm for a few days but will be taking another look this week.

I'm Andy.

Hi Simon

As for the Bias (anti-skate) for minimum value the weight should be at the bottom of the shaft closest to the main body of the tonearm.
    Why not give HiFi Sound a call, they are very helpful bunch of guys
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm Dave.

For the lowest setting, the bias weight should be closest to the end with the bend. If you want a greater level of bias, move the weight to the end of the shaft and for very tricky cartridges, you can add a second weight as I have done on occasion with Koetsus.

Alternative weights are available for the main balance weight to cater for lighter or heavier cartridges.

The Notts arms are, in my opinion, amongst the easiest and most positive to set up.

I'm eddie.

Simon,

I'm considering an Ace Space arm to mount on an AnalogueWorks TT Zero. I emailed Nottingham Analogue about specs and they responded very quickly.

According to NA, the effective length of the Ace Space is 237.5 mm, the overhang is 15mm, the pivot to spindle distance is 222, all measurements approximate.

I hope this helps.

Eddie
    Last edited by EJR; 30-11-2017 at 03:41. Reason: typo

I'm jamie.

what good is approximate?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm eddie.

Just quoting from the PDF Nottingham sent me. They wrote that the measurements were approximate. There is .5mm play in the overhang as the pivot to spindle distance is listed at 222mm, and the effective length (pivot to stylus) is 237.5.

Simon wrote:

"Been messing about all day with this arm and can't seem to get it set right. I've attached my Linn Adikt cart to the headshell and placed it as far forward as it will go. If I then move the arm mount pod on my Ace Spacedeck to make the pivot > Spindle 210mm, I can't then seem to get enough overhang for a Baerwald alignment. I've currently got the pivot > Spindle at around 207mm, which is getting me in the ballpark but I just cannot get the stylus to follow the protractor and be accurate in all spots. It's near but out by a fraction in places. I've had the platter off/on so many times moving the arm pod around."

Simon is using 210mm as the pivot to spindle distance, but two days ago NA told me it was 222.
    Last edited by EJR; 01-12-2017 at 00:23.

I'm Simon.

Something is not quite right there as there is no way this arm can be set to have a 222mm pivot to spindle distance and then have enough movement in the headshell to make the correct overhang (the arm just seems too short).

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Something is not quite right there as there is no way this arm can be set to have a 222mm pivot to spindle distance and then have enough movement in the headshell to make the correct overhang (the arm just seems too short).
    I've been setting up various Notts arms for decades now, with all manner of cartridges and never had the slightest trouble..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast