+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just bought a balanced transformer!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Perceived dynamics were reduced, sound was a bit 'sat on', there was a weird echo/reverb effect in the bass. Not huge changes, very small in fact, but they were there.

I persisted with it, but when I took it out of the system the improvement was immediate and obvious.
    What was the VA rating of the transformer?
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

No idea, sorry.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

No idea, sorry.
    Have you got a device name/model number?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I think it depends on the system you have, and to some extent on the quality of your mains supply.
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 06-10-2017 at 15:54.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I think it depends on the system you have, and to some extent on the quality of your mains supply.
    That was the one I tried.

There was also the BMU Ali built that was slotted into a high end set up at NEBO. Everyone there, pretty much, declared that it improved the sound. The only change I heard was that weird echo thing on the bass. However after a couple of minutes of music I couldn't hear it anymore. So I am deffo in the minority with this. Cloth ears, I suppose.
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 06-10-2017 at 15:55.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Did you notice the 'bass echo effect' with both units?
    Barry

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

That was the one I tried.

There was also the BMU Ali built that was slotted into a high end set up at NEBO. Everyone there, pretty much, declared that it improved the sound. The only change I heard was that weird echo thing on the bass. However after a couple of minutes of music I couldn't hear it anymore. So I am deffo in the minority with this. Cloth ears, I suppose.

For me, the BMU just helped make more difficult music more intelligible to me. None of my sources in the workroom are top rank in any shape or form, but I do listen basically near field and a heck of a lot on headphones too and applying the old Linn-remnant 'tune dem' parameters, I felt the BMU worked for me. I even used your Krell with it and it took the load with ease... (Krells of the era of yours and later need a clean mains and I remember the positive difference an RA mains strip made to expensive Krell-based setups in central London - anything to clean up the daytime 'noise' a bit).
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 06-10-2017 at 15:57.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Deleted.

Well I have now done some A/B comparisons, level matched, and the BMU is really surprisingly better. I have now concluded that my ‘less vivid’ comment relates to the structure of the soundstage which is less upfront but also more expansive and more tightly focussed (powerfully so on piano). What I find most surprising is that the noise floor does sound quite clearly to be lower - I say surprising because this is via vinyl. Admittedly I’m using a very low noise phonostage and my turntable has extremely low self generated noise - but even then I am surprised how much the noise floor can be lowered and increased detail, filigree and nuance can be revealed!
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

"Filigree" used twice in one day on this forum. Well done good sir!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Well I have now done some A/B comparisons, level matched, and the BMU is really surprisingly better. I have now concluded that my ‘less vivid’ comment relates to the structure of the soundstage which is less upfront but also more expansive and more tightly focussed (powerfully so on piano). What I find most surprising is that the noise floor does sound quite clearly to be lower - I say surprising because this is via vinyl. Admittedly I’m using a very low noise phonostage and my turntable has extremely low self generated noise - but even then I am surprised how much the noise floor can be lowered and increased detail, filigree and nuance can be revealed!
    You don't notice the noise until it's gone. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast