+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just bought a balanced transformer!

I'm Deleted.

Default I've just bought a balanced transformer!

The one I've ordered is 3000VA and comes fitted with input and output circuit breakers (RCD's on the output) and two 13A sockets. I only actually need two sockets thanks to the extensive use of Hydra style mains distribution. You do need to fit a mains cable to the input but, unless you lack confidence fitting a plug, it shouldn't need an electrician. The box it comes in is a big grey industrial thing but my hi-fi lives in its own room so that's not a problem (for me). Airlink also do ones with smoothing circuitry but I didn't go for that.
    Account Deleted

I'm Gary.

Yeah, the plug n play option is by far the easiest to impliment.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Safety aspects of these have been discussed to death, short version if you have double pole RCBO protection on both primary and secondary windings you'll be fine. Not worth doing it otherwise.
    Is this something you have to specify when ordering from Airlink or others, or is it something externally you fit to your mains? Probably a stupid question. If so, please forgive my ignorance. No way would I ever be doing a DIY version. I can fit mains plugs but that's about as much as I know how to do.

I'm Deleted.

You don't have to specify it but it does depend on which model you order.
    Account Deleted

I'm Jez.

"They've" got to him....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Deleted.

Who are 'they'?
    Account Deleted

I'm Jez.

Who ever you want them to be.... Foomintrolls probably...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Deleted.

Oh them - got ya. You would be even less impressed if you could see the two interconnects I've been trying recently with a combined price of over £3.5k.
    Account Deleted

I'm Mike.

I have a basic question, what does it do?

I'm Graham.

Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast