+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just bought a balanced transformer!

I'm Deleted.

Received, wired up, and testing:

Last edited by YNWaN; 28-09-2017 at 08:27.
    Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

I bet that's all air inside.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Graham.

You need a gland on that cable.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Deleted.

Yeah, I’ve got one coming.
    ————
    The top section of the box is relatively empty except for the 13A sockets (MK ones) and the circuit breakers. The rest of the box is pretty much taken up with the transformer.

Last edited by YNWaN; 28-09-2017 at 08:31.
    Account Deleted

I'm Graham.

A friend brought round the 3K version,but it would trip the circuit breakers in the distribution board when powered up,fortunately the 2K works fine.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Deleted.

Hmm..odd, it's got an element of anti-surge and turning mine on and off a few times hasn't caused any issues. In a very quiet room there is a very low level mechanical hum from the transformer, it is very quiet though.

(sorry about the massive pictures, I've resized them now)
    Account Deleted

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The [edit] 1000 VA BMU I use seemed to make a positive difference and it was missed when I took it out of circuit, so I ended up buying it. The mains here isn't bad, unlike the dire mains we had in Luton, but I still prefer the 'sound' through the workroom setups (headphones and various amps and speakers) with it in place. Not sure a 3000VA isn't overkill to be honest, but if noise isn't an issue from the transformer, then fine I reckon and none of my amps are power-houses to be fair (100WPC max)

BMU's seem to be dependant on where they're used I'm told. I think the 'principle' is sound, but not everybody is going to 'need' one I reckon.
    Last edited by DSJR; 28-09-2017 at 09:34.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Josie.

When you don't have any hifi on... does it still keep running or does it go in to sleep mode? If so, does it constantly use the same energy, 1K,2K,3K or whatever?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Deleted.

It doesn't have 'sleep mode' or anything like that (it doesn't need it) - it doesn't really use anything if nothing is being powered from it. Of course you can switch it off with the switches on the front, either switch off at the input or the output, or both.

I don't have 'problem mains' as such, though I'm not even sure what that means! I never get clicks or pops when appliances are being used or the heating comes on for example. The previous owner of the house had the whole place rewired and the main input fuse uprated - my hi-fi has its own dedicated ring.

The electrician at work has just supplied me with a 20mm cable gland and a couple of blancking washers - should have it all installed this evening .
    -------
    Airlink, who supplied this unit, primarily sell them to recording studios. I notice the 'hi-fi' manufacturers who do them (like Russ Andrews*) leave out the circuit breakers (which are fitted for safety reasons). Presumably they feel removing these safety features improves sound quality - personally I feel uncomfortable with this approach and prefer the well engineered and safer route!

EDIT: * I've just read the Russ Andrews info for his and this isn't true:

Protection is afforded by twin, resettable thermal fuses on the transformers together with a 2 pole (live and neutral) circuit breaker for the output, specifically selected for its high sound quality.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 28-09-2017 at 09:50.
    Account Deleted

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

As I understand it, it consumes nothing when 'idling.'
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast