+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just bought a balanced transformer!

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I have a basic question, what does it do?
    As above, or there is this from the manufacturers (Airlink) website https://airlinktransformers.com/cate...d-power-supply:

•Extensively used in small recording studios and High end audio installations
    •Help reduce mains interference
    •Range from 500va to 5000va
    •True Balanced 230V Power
    •Removes Power Line Noise
    •Eliminates Ground Loops in House Wiring
    •Reduces Radiated Fields from Power Cords
    •Soft Start Protects Equipment From Turn-On Surges
    •Reduces Interference Between Equipment
    Last edited by YNWaN; 21-09-2017 at 09:01.
    Account Deleted

I'm Mike.

This seems to be what I need, I've been in my current flat for almost 3 years and have had 3 amps blow on me,2 JVCs, and a Roksan , my Naim stuff and CDPs have been fine though.

I'm Graham.

As always.it's best to try before you buy,a pal brought one around to one of my bake offs and we all agreed to the differences it made,found mine on the Wam classifieds for less than half price,wouldn't do without it now,but with one caveat,it does hum a bit,but only audible within a meter or so.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Deleted.

Will have to see how badly mine hums - though the 2000VA one I have on loan at the minute (thanks Paul - though I doubt he will read this) is very quiet.

Up until trying this solution I have been quite against any form of mains conditioning, smoothing or regeneration - not on principle, just because of the effect on the sound they have produced for me.
    Account Deleted

I'm Graham.

Same here,tried quite a few things on trial,they all went back,the BMS even made a difference just running my TT.I did read somewhere that leaving it powered up all the time reduces the problem,but mine is switched off when not in use.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Deleted.

It doesn't need to be left on all the time but there is a hum when you first turn it on, it subsides after a few seconds (a minute at most).
    Account Deleted

I'm Hugo.

I'm following this with interest. My phase of the local mains supply is shared by hundreds of other houses and some mains transformers in the system (eg the HCDR) buzz like buzzy things at certain times, so my concern would be physical noise from one of these balanced mains units. There is only one way to find out, of course, and these Airlink devices are notably well-priced, so not the greatest financial risk.

I'm Deleted.

Hugo, the mains transformer in one of my power amps buzzes quite strongly at certain times of the day* but as soon as it is plugged into the Airlink it becomes almost completely silent. As you say, the Airlink designs are very competitively priced compared to those from 'hi-fi' manufacturers like Russ-Andrews etc.

* It's always done this - when in Manchester and the two houses in Sheffield it has lived in.
    Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

Curiously, at Pauls, his TV made his airlink buzz. So they themselves aren't immune to hash and the chopped waveforms you find on the mains from poor/old smps.

Main quality is the one area of fooery that I subscribe to. Off course one draws the line at balanced installs and true regeneration.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If there is DC on the mains (>100mV) feeding the BMU, and if the transformer in the BMU has a rating of > 100VA, then it will most likely 'buzz'. Toroids are more susceptible to this than say, bi-limboid designs, or those using E-I laminations.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast