+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: I've just bought a balanced transformer!

I'm Adrian.

I use one for the Vida and the Truth but wouldn't for power amps. My amps are wired direct to their own 30amp spur.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    You can see the inline filter built into the back of the IEC inlet. There's also a transient suppressor of some sort (the black disc thing).
    And the blue disc-shaped item near the IEC inlet filter might be a VDR.
    Barry

I'm Deleted.

The inside of mine:

Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

Mark, just had a flick through this thread with great interest. I own a P10 regenerator, granted, not the same thing but dosen't a decent power supply to your kit sound great!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Mark, just had a flick through this thread with great interest. I own a P10 regenerator, granted, not the same thing but dosen't a decent power supply to your kit sound great!
    Indeed - a decent supply is the foundation to any system sounding at its best. I used to have a PS Audio P5, and I have a distinct feeling that one of these BMUs brings far more to the party in terms of beautiful sound and musicality, at a tiny fraction of the cost (and box size, for that matter). Add to that, unlike a P5/P10 a BMU consumes hardly any extra electricity, and there is very little (eg pretty much nothing) to go wrong

I'm Deleted.

Yes, as Hugo says, there is nothing really to age or go wrong.

Andy, yes, it is most beneficial . However, as you also point out, fundamentally different to the approach taken with your PS Audio unit.

-------------
    In the picture above, of my unit, you can clearly see the large NTC (the black disc component on top of the transformer) used to limit inrush current when the unit is first turned on. last night I tried removing it from the circuit (very easy to do). Unfortunately I quickly found out that the inrush current of a 3000VA transformer is more than sufficient to trip the circuit breaker on my main fuse box! So, after a quick visit to the cellar to reset the fuse box I reinstalled the component and calm was restored - no harm done .
    Last edited by YNWaN; 07-10-2017 at 15:25. Reason: NTC, not A varistor
    Account Deleted

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    You can see the inline filter built into the back of the IEC inlet. There's also a transient suppressor of some sort (the black disc thing).
    So would these additions have any effect on sq ?
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by GJO View Post
    So would these additions have any effect on sq ?
    I think so, particularly the inline IEC filter. I wouldn’t advocate pulling your BPS apart yourself to replace the inline filter with a plain IEC connector though - if you feel like experimenting with removing the filter components, such work should only be done by a competent (in the electrical safety sense) person.

See Mark’s post above regarding the black disc component, which is needed to limit initial current rush when the unit is switched on.

I'm Graham.

I used to be an M & E service engineer working on control panels and equipment up to 415v,so swapping the IEC shouldn't pose a problem.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Neil.

Default I've just bought a balanced transformer!

Get rid of the IEC filter, but don’t worry about the MOV disc, I would keep that there...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast