+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanted: Narrow footprint CD transport (or player with SPDIF out)

montesquieu Guest

Default Wanted: Narrow footprint CD transport (or player with SPDIF out)

Looking for a cheap transport for the study - needs to be small/narrow footprint ... either a dedicated transport or a CDP with SPDIF out, to work with an external DAC. Can live with optical at a push. £200 max, half that preferred - what's out there?

I'm Edward.

Tom, assuming the study has a computer perhaps the computer has an SPDIF or optical port? If so use the CD drive as the transport. Simples!
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Tom, assuming the study has a computer perhaps the computer has an SPDIF or optical port? If so use the CD drive as the transport. Simples!
    I removed the CD/DVD drive on my Macbook to fit a SSD drive. Though I do use it with an Arcam rblink to play radio and podcasts. (the amp and speakers are too far away really for a USB cable).

I'm old-fashioned though and like putting CDs on!

I'm Dan.

Tom, the Teac reference 300 is a great budget player, only optical but u should find black, gold or silver on eBay. There's also a reference 500 series which is better.

I'm Edward.

Ah right - yes switching the optical drive for a SSD is a great trick.

Does the Macbook have a SPDIF or optical port? If so consider getting an external USB optical drive? Lots of neat looking small footprint ones for 20 quid or so.

But maybe just easier getting a CDP with SPDIF out.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread