+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable turntable isolation feet/spikes for a Thorens td150

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Spikes don't isolate.
    Absolutely correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The TD150 already has its isolation in the form of subchassis suspension.
    Absolutely correct again.

Where does this ridiculous idea that spikes isolate things come from?

I'm Geoff.

Rubber feet, Sorbothane 'lumps', suspended sub-chassis, each have a compliance. If you use more than one, they interact with each other with unpredictable results. It could be beneficial or detrimental. No way of telling without trying it.........or having suitable test equipment that tells you what is going on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Where does this ridiculous idea that spikes isolate things come from?
    Must try some spikes on my car's suspension.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

I agree with Geoff. To put it in terms a woman could understand the deck already has bouncy suspension. If you add more bouncy suspension then they may bounce "at each other" making two sets of suspension much worse than one.

Having said that.... if the bounce of one set is at a very different frequency to the other then it will probably be fine and may even be an improvement. My own TD150 is in a Trio (Kenwood) plinth made from a mineral loaded plastic and I have kept the original isolation feet on the plinth. They are well damped and compared to the suspended sub chassis are almost solid! I guess a few mm of sorbothane would be similar.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Patrick.

So it sounds like fitting feet/spikes to a thorens as a sonic "upgrade" is highly debatable. I was partly interested in adjustable feet as way of ensuring the platter is perfectly level, currently ive got a couple of sheets of folded paper underneath two of the rubber feet to ensure that it is, not ideal! I now suspect that my funds would be put to better use investing in a separate platter for the turntable to sit on that has adjustable feet and in getting the springs/turntable serviced.

RothwellAudio Guest

Adjustable spikes aren't a bad idea - they will allow you to level the turntable and have it sit firmly on whatever it sits on. Just don't expect them to provide any isolation.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I agree with Geoff. To put it in terms a woman could understand the deck already has bouncy suspension. If you add more bouncy suspension then they may bounce "at each other" making two sets of suspension much worse than one.

Having said that.... if the bounce of one set is at a very different frequency to the other then it will probably be fine and may even be an improvement. My own TD150 is in a Trio (Kenwood) plinth made from a mineral loaded plastic and I have kept the original isolation feet on the plinth. They are well damped and compared to the suspended sub chassis are almost solid! I guess a few mm of sorbothane would be similar.
    Thanks Jez, even I can understand that. Have you ever considered modding Thorens td150/160s and then selling them on? It would offer alot better value for money compared to contemporary turntables on offer.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Adjustable spikes aren't a bad idea - they will allow you to level the turntable and have it sit firmly on whatever it sits on. Just don't expect them to provide any isolation.
    Yes it was partly a way of ensuring the turntable is level that I was looking into them rather than just isolation. Might just get cheap set to try out.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    Thanks Jez, even I can understand that. Have you ever considered modding Thorens td150/160s and then selling them on? It would offer alot better value for money compared to contemporary turntables on offer.
    It's not something I have any interest in no...

I have a Target wall shelf for my TT which as well as giving excellent isolation by being firmly attached to a brick wall also has.. adjustable spikes underneath the platform the TT sits on which allow levelling
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Tony.

Spikes do not isolate a TT, but couple it to whatever support it sits on. Results can be a good or bad. As others have said it's all about experimenting. I've heard said that spikes are more suited to solid rather than suspended TTs. If someone does decide to give spikes a go, then care must be taken with what type of support the TT sits on. Obviously a flimsy rack, platform or whatever, that resonates like a good 'un will likely introduce all sorts of bad vibes. I doubt something with a very hard surface like glass or granite would be suitable either. IMO, a heavy and inert support like a sandbox, which is what I have my humble 25 year old Rotel RP-855/w RB300 coupled to, is more suitable. The Rotel was already a quiet TT, but spiking it to the sandbox further lowered the noise floor. I started off with cheap spikes to see if I liked the change in sound, then bought a more substantial albeit expensive type for better stability.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast