+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New speakers?

I'm Edgar.

Default New speakers?

Hello fellow pursuers of a satisfying sound!

I have been considering a speaker change for quite a while now and would be well happy to hear your thoughts on the subject!

The speakers I'm leaving are Audiophysics scorpio2. Do like the sound of them a lot but think they will do better in another room.
    Spent many, many hours moving them around and bought shitloads of acoustic treatment but still not happy enough

I mainly play 60/70s heavy/psych/prog rock and i think i want a speaker with some warmth in the mids/upper bass and i think i want to try something different from the "modern" designed floor standing speakers i had before.

Have not been around the local shops yet for a listening but from an internet point of view I'm considering and prejudging:

Tannoy Prestige Stirling GR: Too lame compared to its ancestors and bigger siblings?
    JBL 4429: Just bass and no detail/soundstage?
    Harbeth Super HL5-3+: Too little bass?
    Klipsch Cornwall III: A cerwing vega type of thing?

The room is about 25 square meters the amp is 100w mark levinson no27 and I'm open to all suggestions but definitely below 10k €

Best regards!

I'm Geoff.

I think you may find you are wrong about each of those speakers Edgar. Try and get a listen to some.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

What specifically is the problem with your current speakers? Might make it easier to suggest alternatives.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I think you may find you are wrong about each of those speakers Edgar. Try and get a listen to some.
    +1....If he has never listened to any how does he know....
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Geoff.

Based on the music you listen to, I don't think you can go far wrong with JBL.
    At the recent Cranage show, friends of mine commented that the JBL/Levinson combination was the best sound of the show. I didn't go this year, but last year I felt exactly the same. I felt that combination, with a variety of music, made other systems sound very compromised.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    +1....If he has never listened to any how does he know....
    He may have been dreaming ? Alas my dreams involve Ruth Langsford

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    Based on the music you listen to, I don't think you can go far wrong with JBL.
    At the recent Cranage show, friends of mine commented that the JBL/Levinson combination was the best sound of the show. I didn't go this year, but last year I felt exactly the same. I felt that combination, with a variety of music, made other systems sound very compromised.
    Agree that is what I wold spend my e10K on. JBL 4365. They are exactly what a perfect loudspeaker should sound like. For me, anyway. Superb quality of sound and effortless scale from bottom to top.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

I've got Virgos at the moment and used to have Sparks. I have always found them a bit lean in the mid/upper bass department, and this can be mainly ameliorated with source amp and cable matching. Warm class A and valve amps are a big help. What are you using?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Edgar.

Its the mids/upper bass that i am currently missing in the music I'm mainly listening to therefore thoughts on jbl. Like some of the older jbl models I've heard.

I did write clearly that i haven't listened to any of those and my assumptions came from the internet.
    What i was hoping for was that there were any kliphsh/harbeth/jbl/tannoy fans here that maybe knew if the new stuff was shit compared to old etc..

Lawrence001:
    I play vinyl on a modded technics 1210 mk2, nagaoka mp200-trigon vanguard2 riaa-project prebox rs with telefunken nos e88cc tubes-
    mark levinson no27 power amp that i bought used but i think i read somewhere that it runs in a/b 100w 8ohm 200w 4ohm.
    Transparent musiclink+ rca between riaa/pre amp balanced no name microphone cable between pre/power amp and nordost something speaker cables.
    Last edited by Tyr; 15-09-2017 at 15:47.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    What i was hoping for was that there were any kliphsh/harbeth/jbl/tannoy fans here that maybe knew if the new stuff was shit compared to old etc...
    I don't compare my vintage Tannoys to new ones. I find the sound I'm getting so enjoyable and satisfying that mine are going nowhere!

New Tannoys are very expensive and as the better models are based on the classic originals, I doubt there's much, if anything to be gained.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast