+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New speakers?

I'm Jez.

I'd be improving the front end and phono stage before spending £10K on speakers!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I'd be improving the front end and phono stage before spending £10K on speakers!
    Fair point.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Edgar.

"Arkless Electronics
    I'd be improving the front end and phono stage before spending £10K on speakers!"

Would the front end be the power amp? Been considering the power amp as a part of the problem since I've been told that the audio physics need lots of juice and that tubes was out of the question aswell therefore maybe a speaker change to something the amp can drive and then upgrade the amp in the future instead? Maybe a new power amp is what i need...

I'm Jez.

No "front end" is the turntable, arm and cartridge. You also have a £500 ish phono stage I believe... I believe you are using a Mark Levinson no27 power amp? This should be a good amp by reputation etc.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Edgar.

Ok thanks!

Got the volcano battery pack to part the vanguard aswell and a pair of 1210s that i modded in hope of NOT needing a third turntable! They got rega303 arms, Lda psu´s, isonone feet,achromats.. Shouldn't that be in the ball park at least?
    Am quite satisfied with detail,soundstage,voices etc just lacking a bit of those sweet warm mids/upper bass.

I've been listening a bit at mc carts on pricier turntables at the local shop and detail/soundstage wise its not really that much better than at home but the riia there is trigon advance so maybe not that big of a step up..

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    Hello fellow pursuers of a satisfying sound!

I have been considering a speaker change for quite a while now and would be well happy to hear your thoughts on the subject!

The speakers I'm leaving are Audiophysics scorpio2. Do like the sound of them a lot but think they will do better in another room.
    Spent many, many hours moving them around and bought shitloads of acoustic treatment but still not happy enough

I mainly play 60/70s heavy/psych/prog rock and i think i want a speaker with some warmth in the mids/upper bass and i think i want to try something different from the "modern" designed floor standing speakers i had before.

Have not been around the local shops yet for a listening but from an internet point of view I'm considering and prejudging:

Tannoy Prestige Stirling GR: Too lame compared to its ancestors and bigger siblings?
    JBL 4429: Just bass and no detail/soundstage?
    Harbeth Super HL5-3+: Too little bass?
    Klipsch Cornwall III: A cerwing vega type of thing?

The room is about 25 square meters the amp is 100w mark levinson no27 and I'm open to all suggestions but definitely below 10k €

Best regards!
    Well if you wish to consider something quite different and possibly a bit flexible on pricing I highly recommend you visit and audition the speakers from Live Act Audio.

When in Munich earlier this year the speakers by Live Act Audio were by far (to me) the most engaging speakers in the show - with the possible exception of say MBL, TAD and a couple of others. I must have spent a good hour in their room - it really did feel I was at a live act.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    "Arkless Electronics
    I'd be improving the front end and phono stage before spending £10K on speakers!"

Would the front end be the power amp? Been considering the power amp as a part of the problem since I've been told that the audio physics need lots of juice and that tubes was out of the question aswell therefore maybe a speaker change to something the amp can drive and then upgrade the amp in the future instead? Maybe a new power amp is what i need...
    Front end is the record player or CD player etc.

Having sold many Levinson 27 and 27.5 back in the day, I can assure you that isn't responsible for lack of bass or welly. That is the last bit of your system to change, just make sure you have a decent pre to go with.

Every Audio Physics speaker I have tried has been on the lean side.

I'm Lawrence.

Audio Physics mate best with valves, do what I did, buy a budget but quality valve amp (30-40wpc) like prima luna and you're almost there.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Edgar.

Live act audio speakers doesn't seem to be around in sweden..

Maybe audio physics speakers aren't 100% for me but maybe i can save the day with a valve amp Lost of fun stuff to think about!
    Will book listening sessions first thing monday morning!

Would a project pre box rs with nos telefunken e88cc valves and power box rs psu be a decent enough pre for the no27 amp?

Thanks all for good advice!
    Last edited by Tyr; 16-09-2017 at 08:53.

I'm Dave.

Levinson amps are amongst the best available and just because it is an old model, the No.27 is still excellent by any standards. It deserves a decent pre-amp and something better than a Project box.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast