+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Croft

I'm Dave.

Default Croft

I wonder if anyone is using a Croft Micro 25 pre with a pair of Series 7 Mono power amps ?

Some months ago I purchased a Croft phono stage and was most pleased with its performance in my not very "super" system.I have never tried a pair of amps in my home system and I am tempted.I am not unhappy with my old MF A300 dual mono but sometimes the itch needs scratching. AND I fancy trying valves.

Actually any Croft amp stories would be appreciated

Tks

I'm Martin.

I had the micro basic with the series 7 for a while. Good combination. Not neutral but entertaining and involving sound. Will only be better with the '25' pre-amp.

The series 7 are not really valve amps, though. They are hybrid with mosfet transistors doing the heavy lifting.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ian.

I'd not heard of Croft until I visited here and haven't looked back since, settling on a 25R pre and 7 power, un-swapped for years now. May I suggest considering going for a single 7 power amp and putting the saved funds to the 25 pre as an alternative. A stunning combination.

I'm Dave.

Yes, used the 25 with 7 monos numerous times and sold quite a few of this combination. Croft is extremely popular with my customers.

I'm Shaun.

I had a Croft Micro 25 Basic preamp and Series 7 power amp back in 2009 and was staggered by the resolution of fine detail that they produced. I also liked their slightly warm balance of tone.

I'm Lawrence.

I had a micro basic pre and really liked it for the money. A bit of tuning is possible with the valves, but the stock JJs were pretty good. Might be worth stepping up to the 25 though.

If you want to sell your A300 drop me a PM!

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Default croft advice

Thanks for the replies folks,I will take all the info on board.

Actually just sitting here listening to Gordon Giltrap "Perilous Journey" and it sounds just great,what my old ears would make of a new amp I suppose I will not know until I try but it would have to be pretty good (at this kind of level) to make a real improvement I think.
    It is not always easy to try things in your own listening room is it,the right thing to do of course, but not easy.
    Maybe I should "KORE" the Linn and add an external power supply instead, or perhaps I should come out of retirement to fund it ALL.

Anyway,we shall see.

+ Reply to Thread