+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaker cable for recommendations for sceptic

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Any old plug that's a good tight fit and normal everyday solder. Avoid the lead free stuff as it is really crap. You'll need a reasonably powerful soldering iron. A good 25W one as a minimum will do it.
    How about just using the bare wire Jez? Are plugs of any benefit apart from convenience?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    How about just using the bare wire Jez? Are plugs of any benefit apart from convenience?
    If using bare wire then obviously it's important to check from time to time that the binding post is tightly screwed down on the wire. Also best to chop end off and bare a new bit after a year or so due to oxidisation etc. Gold plated plugs into gold plated sockets should deal with oxidisation issues but still good to plug/unplug a few times every now and then to make sure of a good contact. A drop of servisol or similar helps here. A drop of WD40 is an alternative... but I mean a drop!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Patrick.

If using bare wire then obviously it's important to check from time to time that the binding post is tightly screwed down on the wire. Also best to chop end off and bare a new bit after a year or so due to oxidisation etc. Gold plated plugs into gold plated sockets should deal with oxidisation issues but still good to plug/unplug a few times every now and then to make sure of a good contact. A drop of servisol or similar helps here. A drop of WD40 is an alternative... but I mean a drop!
    Cheers Jez, your advice is much appriecated, I'm wanting to set something up fairly longterm so I'm thinking along the lines of terminated 2.5mm cable. Was also thinking maybe 6mm if it helps enhance the bass however it's not clear that it actually does.

I'm Jez.

Cheers Jez, your advice is much appriecated, I'm wanting to set something up fairly longterm so I'm thinking along the lines of terminated 2.5mm cable. Was also thinking maybe 6mm if it helps enhance the bass however it's not clear that it actually does.
    Speaker cable just needs to be thick and kept as short as possible. The longer it is the more important it is that it's thick (calm down now). Any extra resistance reduces the damping factor of the amp and hence it's ability to "grip the speaker cone". If the cable is rather too long and too thin this will become noticeable as reduced sound quality, including worse bass control. 2.5 will be fine for a few metres but if you are planning on draping it for a distance around skirting boards etc or to other rooms then 6 would be better... but obviously much more awkward to work with or conceal!

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Patrick.

Speaker cable just needs to be thick and kept as short as possible. The longer it is the more important it is that it's thick (calm down now). Any extra resistance reduces the damping factor of the amp and hence it's ability to "grip the speaker cone". If the cable is rather too long and too thin this will become noticeable as reduced sound quality, including worse bass control. 2.5 will be fine for a few metres but if you are planning on draping it for a distance around skirting boards etc or to other rooms then 6 would be better... but obviously much more awkward to work with or conceal!
    That's interesting. Well it needs to be about 5m long so might just go for 6mm after all if you think it has an impact on bass control.

I'm Jez.

That's interesting. Well it needs to be about 5m long so might just go for 6mm after all if you think it has an impact on bass control.
    For 5m the 2.5 would be fine but the 6 won't do any harm.

I'm Patrick.

For 5m the 2.5 would be fine but the 6 won't do any harm.
    Indeed one of the cables only needs to be 2m, I don't think 6mm at that length would particularly enhance the bass response and while 6mm wouldn't do any harm my bank account might think otherwise. Thanks again.

I'm Martin.

I've found that going thicker can subtly change the balance of the sound in some cases, i.e depends what the rest of the system is and how it interacts, Sometimes it makes no difference. Never heard thicker cable give less bass, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've found that going thicker can subtly change the balance of the sound in some cases, i.e depends what the rest of the system is and how it interacts, Sometimes it makes no difference. Never heard thicker cable give less bass, though.
    I've read in more than one place that my speakers, Tannoy precision 6.1, lack a bit in bass so was interested in trying thicker cable to see if it made any difference, that said I'm not keen to spend an extra £40 to find out that it doesn't. What's your own experience?

I'm Patrick.

I've read in more than one place that my speakers, Tannoy precision 6.1, lack a bit in bass so was interested in trying thicker cable to see if it made any difference, that said I'm not keen to spend an extra £40 to find out that it doesn't. What's your own experience?
    Just realised you've already stated what your experience is, think I'm just gonna have to take the plunge and find out for myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast