+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker cable for recommendations for sceptic

I'm Patrick.

Default Speaker cable for recommendations for sceptic

I've been significantly upgrading my system over the past year and have so far avoided upgrading my speaker cable, I've just always been sceptical when it comes to the benefits of expensive cable. I'm running a Rega Brio 2017 with Tannoy Precision 6.1 speakers, using the cheapest possible speaker cable from richer sounds. I've decided it's time to at least give mid priced speaker cable a try. I've been looking at Audioquest slip 14/4 as a possible option, it has the option of being used for biwiring which I wouldn't mind trying. Anyone got any other mid priced cable recommendations? It would be to listen to alot of seventies vinyl acoustic music, also seventies reggae,

I'm Geoff.

Don't confuse good speaker cable with expensive cable Patrick. Decent sounding stuff does not need to cost the earth.

I like Audioquest products, so why not give it a go?

As an alternative, if you can solder and fit your own plugs. You could consider Van Damme Blue Studio 2.5 at £3.20 per meter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-...MAAOSwNJ9ZtFN7 It's an excellent cable.

It is available terminated, but obviously that costs more.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

Van Damme is all you need, without spending silly money. Try Studio Blue or the Hi-fi LC-OFC stuff.

I'm Patrick.

Thank you, thats very helpful.

I'm sorted.

I found this worked better than Van Damme with my Tannoys

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talk-Cable...gAAOSwzaJX7rwv

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Don't confuse good speaker cable with expensive cable Patrick. Decent sounding stuff does not need to cost the earth.

I like Audioquest products, so why not give it a go?

As an alternative, if you can solder and fit your own plugs. You could consider Van Damme Blue Studio 2.5 at £3.20 per meter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-...MAAOSwNJ9ZtFN7 It's an excellent cable.

It is available terminated, but obviously that costs more.
    Geoff

How important is it to solder plugs to speaker wire? I tend to simply use screw down plugs to bare wire.

Oxidisation issues? Every six months or so I have a deoxIT session.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Some people swear by a soldered joint. Others don't. I use either depending on what is easiest to fit to the cable type. Can't say I've heard any difference between soldered or screwed on plugs.

I've only had oxidation issues with one speaker cable and that was the old Monster Spiral type. Probably down to the level of impurities in the copper I'd guess. I still have this cable and use it occasionally though. It actually sounds decent.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

I am a cable believer but agree with Walpurgis that good cable doesn't have to be expensive cable. Personally I've found simple tinned copper single electrical appliance type wiring to give the most realistic and natural sound in my system. I use this for both speaker cables and interconnects and found it to be genuinely excellent. YMMV.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    I found this worked better than Van Damme with my Tannoys

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talk-Cable...gAAOSwzaJX7rwv
    In what respect did you find it worked better?

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Geoff

How important is it to solder plugs to speaker wire? I tend to simply use screw down plugs to bare wire.

Oxidisation issues? Every six months or so I have a deoxIT session.
    That's just question I was going to ask, I was thinking of just going for screw down plugs unless it was going to impair the sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast