+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaker cable for recommendations for sceptic

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    In what respect did you find it worked better?
    Less bright/toppy

I'm Andrew.

No plugs just tinned ends for me dudes. With Fisual S-Flex 'studio grade' speaker cable. Good and cheap, my favourite things.

Although my speakers use those super high fidelity ultra modern Bulgin plugs and sockets!

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Less bright/toppy
    Cheers, what tannoy speakers are you using out of interest? I read one review that reckoned the Precision 6.1s were lacking in lower mid range and bass, personally I just find them neutral.

I'm sorted.

Arden MkIIs but had same experience with DC10Ts.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Speaking as an ex-dealer -and it's probably worse now!!!

Dealers make a bloody fortune on speaker cables as it's usually a give-away on a system! If you're happy with this, then fine (and in fact, Naim and Rega cables possibly carry least dealer margin of all retailer bought wires).

I use an electrical installation cable H-07, which is 7 strands at 2.5mm overall cross-section, two conductors per channel. May be not as cheap as the Fisual or Van Damme stranded 2.5mm, but it works well for me. The NVA LS2 uses a very good example of the cable and is neatly terminated with 'Z Plugs' which I like and use myself as long as they're not plugged and unplugged constantly..

One last shot - Linn marketed a very good speaker cable for the Classik one-box system they did. It still lives on

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/linn-k1...CABEgLZUvD_BwE.

This stuff has been around for decades, is available from several suppliers for not huge money and is a fairly chunky transparent multi-strand figure-8 type with a thick red band down one side. I'm hoping the types available are the same and the typical one of old worked well with anything.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Patrick.

Thanks for that, loads of food for thought. Any evidence that the width of speaker cable enhances the bass?

I'm Jez.

Steer clear of screw on plugs! Differences as the screw loosens and or the contact area oxidises will completely out weigh the non existent differences between speaker cables.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Edward.

About 20 years ago when I purchased a 'real' CD player (a Micromega) I asked the dealer to recommend/sell me some reasonable cable which I took (quad qlscf2). Still using them today. Via friends I have tried out various ultra expensive cables, mine beats or matches the ultra expensive cables. So now I don't focus on upgrading my cable.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Steer clear of screw on plugs! Differences as the screw loosens and or the contact area oxidises will completely out weigh the non existent differences between speaker cables.
    Oh!

What do you recommend Jez in terms of plugs and solder?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Oh!

What do you recommend Jez in terms of plugs and solder?
    Any old plug that's a good tight fit and normal everyday solder. Avoid the lead free stuff as it is really crap. You'll need a reasonably powerful soldering iron. A good 25W one as a minimum will do it.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast