+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper & Stars

I'm Tony.

Default Paper & Stars

When I'm not listening to music (though sometimes when I am) I can also spend some free time folding paper or imaging stars. Would be interested to see if there any other Origami or Astroimaging bods on the forum?
    Here's a few piccies of some of the better stuff I've done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Ian.

Ah, very impressive he is
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Lawrence.

I've never been into astro photography but have some interest in telescopes, what do you use, a pretty chunky reflector I'd wager?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've never been into astro photography but have some interest in telescopes, what do you use, a pretty chunky reflector I'd wager?

An ED80 refractor is the weapon of choice. This is the setup used for the deep sky images (an NEQ6 mount with a ST80 guide scope) Camera then was an EOS 450d. Since then, Ive sold the mount and changed to a grab and go setup for wide field imaging using a Skywatcher Star Adventurer camera mount. Cant bear to part with the ED80 though, it's a peach!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    An ED80 refractor is the weapon of choice. This is the setup used for the deep sky images (an NEQ6 mount with a ST80 guide scope) Camera then was an EOS 450d. Since then, Ive sold the mount and changed to a grab and go setup for wide field imaging using a Skywatcher Star Adventurer camera mount. Cant bear to part with the ED80 though, it's a peach!

Wow ,serious kit there Tony. Great photos BTW, origami too
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Lawrence.

I always thought refractors were better for local observation and reflectors for deep space, showing a total lack of knowledge there!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I always thought refractors were better for local observation and reflectors for deep space, showing a total lack of knowledge there!

Not at all. There has been a bit of a surge in the use of refractors over the last 10 years or so, due to the availability of affordable 'apochromatic' refractors. These used to be much more expensive due to the exotic (flourite) lens elements that correct the colour abberation inherent in using lenses rather than mirrors.

For visual observation, aperture is always king, hence the prevalence of big reflectors. Imaging though, is different, as long exposures are used. Therefore it is the quality of the optics and the seeing conditions that dictate performance. There are lots of options depending on what kind of imaging you want to do (Wide Field, Galaxies, Nebulas etc).

I'm gone.

Beautiful astro-pics.
    I love the one of the Andromeda galaxy - the dust lanes are beautifully caught!

What is the globular cluster? - M15?

I'm a reformed astronomer, I did an astronomy degree and 3 years post-grad research in stellar UV spectroscopy. A long time ago now!
    Last edited by jandl100; 13-09-2017 at 09:40.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Beautiful astro-pics.
    I love the one of the Andromeda galaxy - the dust lanes are beautifully caught!

What is the globular cluster? - M15?

I'm a reformed astronomer, I did 3 years post-grad research in stellar UV spectroscopy. A long time ago now!
    Back at ya!

The glob is M13 in Hercules (the visual clue is the 'three bladed propeller' you can just about make out in the cluster itself) :-)

Nice to find some fellow stargazers on this forum.

I'm gone.

Here is my main claim to fame, the 1st ever detection of the element Bismuth in a star other than the Sun.
    Right proud.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...tcallback=true

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast