Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVA Phono2 phono stage review

I'm Ian.

Default NVA Phono2 phono stage review

As many of you will know the phono stage bake off Jamie and myself had planned had to be cancelled but the NVA Phono 2 was already here so before sending it back we thought we'd try it out and give you our honest opinion. In the interest of comparison we used my Nakamichi CA5 E pre amp which has a Nelson Pass Threshold phono stage, I only use it as a phono stage and not as a pre amp.
    First impressions taking the Phono2 out of the box were of a very nicely designed unit, clean, uncluttered lines from the glossy acrylic case. The rear of the unit is clearly marked for connections and power hook up is taken care of by two sturdy XLR cables. It can be used with one or two power supplies, adding the second is optional.
    We tested it using my Toshiba SR 370/Mission 774 arm/Ortofon 2M black, Musical Fidelity A3 amp and Mordaunt Short Signifer speakers connected with NVA LS5 cable. The Phono2 was connected with both power supplies first and later with just one.
    After letting it "warm up" we played Pink Floyd's The Wall and the first thing we noticed was the sense of space and of the sound stage being broad and well defined. The individual instruments had their own positions but they didn't sound disjointed or awkward in presentation. The bass was nicely controlled but lacked a little of the Nakamichi's punch but where the Phono2 shone was in the mid and treble, astonishingly dynamic and precise but never sounding harsh or forced. Gilmour's acoustic guitars felt like they were in the room, like you could reach out and touch them. The Wall is full of quiet/loud, light/dark moments but not once did anything seem lost or overpowering.
    Next up was 10cc's Original Soundtrack, a master work of production that puts any equipment through it's paces. Again that wide sound stage came alive and drew you into the music, almost like being surrounded by the band. The Nakamichi once again had a slightly tighter grip on the bass but the Phono2 felt more involving and dynamic.
    The guitars on Stephen Stills first album were full of subtlety and attack, all at the right moments and the vocals clean and sharp, even during his coke fuelled rantings.
    We played the same music using only one power supply and there was a noticeable drop in overall presence but was still an enjoyable listen. You definitely get the best results with the second power supply connected.
    In conclusion the Nakamichi is still a great unit but the Phono2 is an extremely capable and dynamic performer which brings a new space and realism to music, we liked it a lot.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm jamie.

i concur it certainly lived up to all the praise written by oliver (bigman80).
    prices for the nakamichi have shot up now to around £400,the secrets out,both are very good phono stages.
    if i didnt own a nak already id happly live with the nva phono 2.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Great write-up Ian! The last Nakamichi i saw on eBay went for £181!!! I was very impressed with the NVA Phono 2 + extra PSU at the Huddersfield bake off.

Did you have the extra PSU?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Great write-up Ian! The last Nakamichi i saw on eBay went for £181!!! I was very impressed with the NVA Phono 2 + extra PSU at the Huddersfield bake off.

Did you have the extra PSU?

you should have grabbed it at that price.
    yes we used both psu's
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

I tried Jamie, the guy wouldn't post it! I literally begged him lol.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    you should have grabbed it at that price.
    yes we used both psu's
    It got better with the extra PSU.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It got better with the extra PSU
    Why?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Why?
    I'm not sure about the technical specifications Geoff but it seemed to add extra control and poise. Sounded firmer.

I'm Kevin.

Good to see that write up, I have been looking around for a non-valve replacement for my setup for some time and NVA (Phono2) was on my radar. My current kit is World Designs and what I think is good value for money. Reading between the lines of the various write-ups lately, I‘m beginning to think NVA Phono2 may also be good value for money. The 2nd PSU sounds interesting, more power easier control?
    Thanks found this very useful.
    Kevin
    Kevin.

Technics SL1210 (MN bearing, PH PSU, VDH103), Lenco L75 - to do up. Cambridge 840CA
    mplification: WAD6550 With a few mods(Black Gates, Jupiters, Mullards), WD PRE3(TJ Full music), WD Phono3(Full music)
    Loudspeakers: Troels Gravesen's CA18RNX

I'm Vesa.

Nice rewie!
    Music is not made for listening HiFi...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast