+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do other similarly spec'd techies compare?

I'm Hugo.

Default How do other similarly spec'd techies compare?

Technics makes a LOT of tables with the same technical specs as the sl-1200 mk2. A look over at http://www.vintagetechnics.audio/turntables.php will show probably dozens of turntables with the same specs.

Despite this, the SL-1200 is the most loved one. Is this because of any actual performance difference between a sl-1200 and (for example) a Q3 or sl-1800? I'm vaguely considering using the guts of a technics for a turntable project, but I'd rather not pull apart my own one.

I'm Jim.

If you are looking for a donor motor/platter, it would be safe generalization to say that any of the quartz DD technics will have similar performance.

What tables are available locally (boot sale or the like) that you could choose from?
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Martin.

They might not have the torque of the SL1200 motor but I'd expect them to be pretty similar with regard to maintaining speed stability. Likewise with any non-Technics DD that is not straying into low rent mid-fi territory (there are a few).

The difference with the SL1200/1210 to the other Technics DD tables was the intended use as a broadcast deck so very quick start up to speed was important, whereas with those decks designed for home use this ability was not needed.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread