+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Usual Rega too fast problem

I'm richard.

Default The Usual Rega too fast problem

Yes I know this is the old chestnut and older Regas were guilty but, on a 2014 Rega RP3 I reckon 34.3RPM is too fast. I only decided to test it as over the last few months as I'd noted a couple of albums did sound a tad too 'hurried' and the last one - yesterday - was Paul Simon Graceland which forced me to check.

'Measured' with a SmartPhone RPM app it actually fluctuates between a range of 34.1 to 34.4 but is averaging for the most part 34.3. Which is surprisingly 3%.

So, I've carefully removed the white belt and cleaned it with a new fine microfibre cloth plus sub-platter and pulley. After drying it I used a tiny amount of talc on the belt and retested with the phone in 2 different positions each time - same result. 34.3 (3% fast). Note that I don't have a TTPSU.

I'm not convinced strobing it with the needle in the groove will show a significant reduction. Its possible another belt might help (some forums reckon the Edwards belt) but could this be a motor issue ? I had the motor swapped by a Rega Dealer (esteemed) due to noise within a couple of months. This one was a lot better but its always been audible and especially so with the lid down (I never use it like that). Anyhow, I'm assuming the warranty has expired so thats a dead-end.

Views anyone ?

thanks in advance Richard.

I'm Alex.

I don't know the deck, but to slow it down, how about the old lamp in series trick? Needs to be done safely of course.
    Spendorman

I'm richard.

Thanks Alex; no I'd not heard of that one before. But it's not one I fancy tbh. Besides, my wife will say I'm risking burning the house down
    Actually I thought I'd lost the Rega black belt but just found it. I might try it but it's probably not a fix.

I'm Alex.

I would hesitate to reduce the diameter of the motor spindle. The series lamp is worth a try if you can do it safely.
    Spendorman

I'm Spartacus.

I've had two older Planars and they both ran fast. Stereophile has also measured and noted this with more recent models. The only reason I still run a Rega in my second system is because it has the older motor that allows me to use a speed controller so that my records play at exactly 33.3. I would love to hear Rega offer a solution to this instead of the usual denial that it is a problem.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Simon.

The motor speed runs on mains frequency, not voltage. Either pulley is too big, belt too thick or too tight, subplatter too small or yours mains frequency too high.

It's the belt.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Russell.

Wait a minute! An RPM app? This is a new one on me? What's the name of it? I want it!

But one thing is possible, the phone app may not be accurate. Unless you have something you know is turning at a certain speed to check it by, I use a SPL app, and a distance app, and both are flawed. Good estimates but not perfect.

An aftermarket speed controller would be a definite cure. Or sell the deck and buy something else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm James.

You can check the Mains Frequency here.............................

http://www.dynamicdemand.co.uk/grid.htm

Jim.

I'm Spartacus.

Yes, mains frequency will affect speed, which is why my decks are always plugged into my AC regenerator locked onto 50Hz. But this did not make a difference with the Regas I've owned.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Wait a minute! An RPM app? This is a new one on me? What's the name of it? I want it!

But one thing is possible, the phone app may not be accurate. Unless you have something you know is turning at a certain speed to check it by, I use a SPL app, and a distance app, and both are flawed. Good estimates but not perfect.

An aftermarket speed controller would be a definite cure. Or sell the deck and buy something else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi Alpha - Its an Android appl in Playstore; called RPM Calculator. Place your phone on the platter (with stylus guard in place !), start the app and reset it then spin up the turntable. I placed my phone in different positions and the answer is the same whatever. Agree the appl might not be accurate but it is consistent but who really knows !..... although, I could use an old Strobe and I may do that for another reference. An aftermarket speed controller might well be a fix but it would cost $$$ and if that is the answer then I need another deck.

Cheers, Richard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast