+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker users recommendations ?

I'm steve.

Default Speaker users recommendations ?

I'm considering getting a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers, would appreciate any thoughts on them from other forum users who have a pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

I don't have them but I'd recommend posting in the relevant area of the forum as a starting point.

I'm steve.

Default Speaker users recommendation ?

Sorry about that I'm a bit of a newbie
    How do I delete or move it to the relevant forum ?

I'm gone.

I am sure that a passing, kindly moderator will spot this soon, and move it to where it belongs.

I'm Geoff.

Moved from Digital Expressions.

Dunno about "kindly moderator", I'm a complete swine!

I'd suggest telling folk what amplifier you will be using and what sized room they'll be in.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Thiha.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I'm considering getting a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers, would appreciate any thoughts on them from other forum users who have a pair.

Hi Steve - are you looking to purchase new or used? I ask because if buying new, there are other used speakers for a similar outlay that are quite a bit better. I owned the 20s at the same time as PMC DB1i bookshelves and recently owned Quad S1. Used DB1i and S1 range from £280 - £425 on a good day. Being able to compare the 20 with the DB1i side by side, the DB1i is simply better in all respects. In each main area: integration, coherence, neutrality, smooth upper mids and treble, it was slightly ahead of the 20, but when you draw all these together, it made the DB1i stand out clearly as the better speaker.

The 20 is not bad by any means. At its price point, it's difficult to find something better, but if you are open to buying used, then to use Marco's phrase, you get much more SVPP (sound value per pound). The Quad S1 is also a great little speaker. It sounded very good at the end of equipment in a much higher price league for which it is positioned which only goes to show that inherently, it is well designed and well made.

Cheers

I'm Shaun.

Quite a few years ago I owned a pair of 2020's which I was using with a Croft pre/power combination. The sound was exceptional when compared to other combinations I had owned but I just could not get on with the lack of any low bass. I changed them eventually for Dali floorstanders which then had too much bass and so it goes...

I think that this type of loudspeaker can well and truly sustain itself in a system with quite expensive ancillaries.

I'm steve.

Default Speaker users recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by vintage60 View Post
    Hi Steve - are you looking to purchase new or used? I ask because if buying new, there are other used speakers for a similar outlay that are quite a bit better. I owned the 20s at the same time as PMC DB1i bookshelves and recently owned Quad S1. Used DB1i and S1 range from £280 - £425 on a good day. Being able to compare the 20 with the DB1i side by side, the DB1i is simply better in all respects. In each main area: integration, coherence, neutrality, smooth upper mids and treble, it was slightly ahead of the 20, but when you draw all these together, it made the DB1i stand out clearly as the better speaker.

The 20 is not bad by any means. At its price point, it's difficult to find something better, but if you are open to buying used, then to use Marco's phrase, you get much more SVPP (sound value per pound). The Quad S1 is also a great little speaker. It sounded very good at the end of equipment in a much higher price league for which it is positioned which only goes to show that inherently, it is well designed and well made.

Cheers
    Many thanks for the info, I was guided towards the Concept 20 as a good friend of mine has just bought the much cheaper 2020is and is finding them exceptionally good so I thought to go for the "turbo" version, the Concept 20s tend to get universal praise in all the reviews I've seen online so I thought I was on safe ground, I do intend to buy used hopefully under £200.
    The speakers are going to be used in a second tier system in the bedroom. My main setup is a pair of Jordan Eikona 2 VTL floor standers driven by a Cambridge CXA60, I don't expect the C20s are likely to get close to them but should be ok for not so critical listening.
    I'm sure the PMCs are superb but if memory serves they were about £1k when new, for that price they should be better
    Likewise the Quad S1s at £500 are a bit out of my scope money wise, and I think they're a bit of a rarity second hand, there are certainly none on ebay atm.
    Cheers

Last edited by steve-z; 12-09-2017 at 22:53.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Quite a few years ago I owned a pair of 2020's which I was using with a Croft pre/power combination. The sound was exceptional when compared to other combinations I had owned but I just could not get on with the lack of any low bass. I changed them eventually for Dali floorstanders which then had too much bass and so it goes...

I think that this type of loudspeaker can well and truly sustain itself in a system with quite expensive ancillaries.
    Thanks for the reply and your observations on the 2020s, I'm not too bothered about a lack of low bass provided what bass is there is fast and tight. They will be used with a Yamaha AS501 amp, I also have a small 50w Yamaha sub I can bring into action if needed if the music demands it, no doubt there are better speakers out there than the Concept 20s but if I'm able to get a pair used for £200 I'd be lucky to find a better sounding speaker for that price, in an ideal world if I had the money I'd get another pair of Jordan's, the smaller Reflex 7s but unfortunately I don't have £700+ to spend.
    Cheers

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Thanks for the reply and your observations on the 2020s, I'm not too bothered about a lack of low bass provided what bass is there is fast and tight. They will be used with a Yamaha AS501 amp, I also have a small 50w Yamaha sub I can bring into action if needed if the music demands it, no doubt there are better speakers out there than the Concept 20s but if I'm able to get a pair used for £200 I'd be lucky to find a better sounding speaker for that price, in an ideal world if I had the money I'd get another pair of Jordan's, the smaller Reflex 7s but unfortunately I don't have £700+ to spend.
    Cheers

One thing for certain Steve is that no matter what loudspeakers you own, there are always going to be ones out there that are different and almost certainly better to your ears. You just have to find that happy balance and find the ones that are for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast