+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging the spindle hole in an LP?

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    A tapered reamer should do it, coupled with restraint.
    That, and making sure that the material you ream falls away from the record
    Does the job extremely well.
    I purchased a tapered reamer (7 to 9mm) off the Bay for just this purpose. It has only been used for this task, so is very sharp and has to be used gently, so as not to remove too much material. A couple of light back and forth rotations is usually enough.

I'm stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    I purchased a tapered reamer (7 to 9mm) off the Bay for just this purpose. It has only been used for this task, so is very sharp and has to be used gently, so as not to remove too much material. A couple of light back and forth rotations is usually enough.
    Hi Ken, Do you have a link to the item you bought?

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I use a 7.3mm drill bit, but I have been known to use the pointed end of a potato peeler which works just as well.
    i use the proper tool for the job, 1 half of a pair of scissors
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    Hi Ken, Do you have a link to the item you bought?
    I bought it about 3 years ago, along with a ratchet "T" holder, so I don't have a link.

This is similar to what I have:

Using multi flute slow taper reamer keeps the hole round and centred and as you can see, cheap as chips.

EDIT: I've taken the link out, item was too large, you need a 1:50 taper reamer with diameter of around 6.5mm. I think a 7mm is the size, I will see if I can find one.

Its a 6.5mm 1:50 taper that is needed, which goes from 6.4mm dia to 8.78mm dia. Can't see that size for sale at the moment, a 6mm will do as it goes up to 8mm max. It will be 110/120mm long approx. They usually quote the max dia and nominal size at the small end which it will fit into.
    Last edited by Qwin; 11-09-2017 at 19:02.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i use the proper tool for the job, 1 half of a pair of scissors
    Yep, that will work as well.
    Barry

I'm jamie.

i expect there's some audiophile tool out there thats grossly inflated in price as well !
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Grant.

It's called a pencil
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i expect there's some audiophile tool out there thats grossly inflated in price as well !
    Yes - there's this: http://www.forums.stevehoffman.tv/th...-drill.347485/

Yours for a mere $50.
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    This 6mm one should be perfect: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/3mm-to-20mm-S...rmJd1iQDGr1FGw as it (apparently) goes up to 7.3mm.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    This 6mm one should be perfect: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/3mm-to-20mm-S...rmJd1iQDGr1FGw as it (apparently) goes up to 7.3mm.
    It needs to be a bit bigger, my spindle measures 7.3 and you would be at the very top of the taper. The spindle needs a small amount if clearance or it will still be a very tight fit. Hence me suggesting 6.5mm but a 7mm will also work(narrow end dimension), you will be working at the narrow end of the taper with that. Mine is 7mm and the reamer only goes in about 15mm when the hole is the right size. To be honest some of the cheaper reamers with a faster taper would be good enough for the job, something like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-12MM-REA...cAAOSwMedZcT93

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast