+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Re-Veneering Speakers Beyond The Keen Amateur?

I'm Martin.

Thanks very much.

I will follow threads like yours which are a great source of information.

I can see myself doing this bit by bit. I will source some cabinets to refurbish and Im sure I can veneer them if I take my time. I like to pontificate after every step so If I dont rush ahead of my ability to learn, I can see some nice real oak veneer going on.

I can tool up and get the materials for far less than that quote. I wont buy veneer until Im sure I have all the scrapers, rollers and edge router tools.

Then I will learn how to finish the veneer. Still a bit woried as its all in the final finish. I used to build airfix kits perfectly glued sanded and filled but could be dissatisfied with my final painting. I dont want to be like that with speakers

Best wishes
    Martin

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I can see some nice oak veneer going on.

Best wishes
    Martin
    Oak is one of the more tricky veneers to work with. It is brittle and prone to warping and splitting. It's not that easy to cut cleanly and the edges can splinter readily too. I'd choose something easier to work with to be honest.

I've used Oak, but I have veneered a lot of cabinets and have a good handle on the procedure.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Yes I was thinking that. Some of the veneer looks very dry, thick and ready to split. I would almost prefer to do every side with a separate piece but Its all just thoughts at the moment

I'm Richard.

What did you mean by "I would almost prefer to do every side with a separate piece"?
    Did you intend to "wrap" the veneer around the cabinet? If that it what you intend I hope you will trust me when I tell you that it can't be done like that-no matter what veneer you use! All sides must be veneered separately. I like to put the back on first, followed by the two sides then the front.The top is put on last of all.
    Hope this helps.

I'm Martin.

oh I thought It was wrapped to some degree on as many sides as possible. I thought you made a bend even on the thicker veneers and smoothed it around the corner...then any other sides could be done and blended in. Then again I dont know about the sizes of veneer that are sold or easy to work with.

I will be learning. I suppose the edges are closely cut and then fine sanded with just a few swishes.

I dont know much at the moment but I will learn.

Cheers
    Martin

I'm Ken.

Check out the YouTube video tutorials.
    There are lots of clips covering all the possible ways of doing it, Iron on, PVA, Contact, Hide Glue, its all there in a step by step form.
    Much easier to understand the process from a video than a description, make your own mind up, which will suit you and your skill set.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123