+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Re-Veneering Speakers Beyond The Keen Amateur?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    To be fair, I couldn't use contact adhesive because I needed to be able to adjust the veneer to form the curve
    That's why I use Thixofix. Allow it to just go tacky and lightly apply the veneer. Thixofix retains some 'slippage' to allow a little movement. Once happy with positioning, rub down firmly.

Here's an old shot of small transmission line speakers I built ages ago using Afromosia veneer, which is quite hard and brittle. Note the curved front edges. The veneer was applied using Thixofix.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Its just one of those jobs thats asking to go wrong. You all know what I mean. I get good with practice but its not the sort of thing thats cheap enough to start a trial and error learning process.

It would be easier to cover up mistakes by spraying them but thats not the finish Im after. Veneering and finishing is quite a skill so hats off to anyone thats done it well.

I will be staring at bubbles and chips Ive tried to blend in so its best left to someone with the confidence to do it well. Ive a new respect for the factories that nicely veneer a speaker

Im just hoping to find someone that loves helping people so much that they charge next to nothing

I'm Richard.

Hi Martin,

In answer to your question, home veneering is well in the capabilities of an amateur, provided that they use the right type of veneer and the right glue. My hobby is building custom made IPL speakers. This is an example of an oak veneer speaker that I recently made.

The magnolia grille cloth was not to my taste but the customer was sure that is what he wanted!
    If you look at www.alchemyloudspeakers.uk you will find an example of some speakers that were covered in a maple veneer.

As far as choice of veneers is concerned, I always use a paperbacked veneer bought from SL Hardwoods in Croydon. They sell full 8x4 foot sheets so no joining is required. They also sell half sheets for smaller projects and have a very good mail order service. I would never consider iron on veneer. You might like to refer to a thread "IPL speaker build" which was started by "Covenant" in 2015. He had all sorts of probelms with iron on veneer.

For glue, I always use clear Scotchweld 30 which is water based neoprene contact adhesive. I buy it in 1 litre tins from Transair International pilot's shop. The cabinet is roughed up with coarse production paper and likewise the back of the veneer. The glue is applied with a mini roller and allowed to dry (force drying with a hot air gun is permissable!) When the glue is dry it is not at all sticky and can be easily handled (unlike Thixofix). The downside is that when the two surfaces are pressed together there is an instant bond with no room for adjustment! The veneer is rollered down very firmly with a rubber roller no wider that 3 inches.

Most of the excess veneer is removed by placing a long steel rule against the cabinet and runing a Stanley knife or "pizza type" cutter along it. This will leave a mm or so of excess veneer which can be rubbed down by hand, Great care must be taken at this stage not to rub too hard!These days I use a small laminate trimmer with a flush trim cutter which leaves only a minimum of hand rubbing to be done.

In short, home veneering is achievable provided that you use the right materials and have basic "Hands on" skills. When done properly it is very satisfying to make things for yourself. I have a few pictures showing some of the veneering process from my last build. I will be happy to post them if you or anyone else is interested.

Richard.

I'm Paul.

Done a lot of veneering in my time when I was a cabinet maker, the of the most things to have are the tools which consisted of a Stanley knife always with a sharp blade, scraper ( Cut from a saw blade with edges burred) for trimming and a veneer hammer a must.
    The glue we used then was scotch glue or a contact glue.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Martin.

Thats very interesting Richard and I can get a good few nuggets of information there.

Its just the variables that worry me like how tacky to make the glue and cutting/sanding circular edges of holes where the main driver doesnt cover the edges. I just see a lot of fussy and difficult edge work when Im doing it. Would I want the glue ready to bond instantly as I like a bit of wriggle room with some movement

I would love to get practicing. I would love to have a go but the materials are not cheap and I dont have spare cabinets lying around. Im not the apprentice in a factory when they can bung me a few offcuts and tell me to get learning

I know I could do covers of vintage Creek and Cambridge amps but neatly finishing a speaker cabinet is a whole new level.

I know I could do it if I learnt properly and watched someone doing a pair of cabinets. I will see what the quotes are like but feel its just better to let and experienced craftsman do the work.

Best wishes
    Martin

RothwellAudio Guest

Some people are practical and skillful and are good at making things. If you're one of those you should be able to manage veneering ok.
    Some people are cack-handed and can't make anything. I have a couple of mates who I wouldn't trust to make anything - even assemble Ikea's simplest coffee table. If you're like that, you have no chance.
    You probably know your capabilities and limitations better than any of us do.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    Done a lot of veneering in my time when I was a cabinet maker, the of the most things to have are the tools which consisted of a Stanley knife always with a sharp blade, scraper ( Cut from a saw blade with edges burred) for trimming and a veneer hammer a must.
    The glue we used then was scotch glue or a contact glue.
    ah hand veneering with scotch,that sorts the men from the boys
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Some people are practical and skillful and are good at making things. If you're one of those you should be able to manage veneering ok.
    Some people are cack-handed and can't make anything. I have a couple of mates who I wouldn't trust to make anything - even assemble Ikea's simplest coffee table. If you're like that, you have no chance.
    You probably know your capabilities and limitations better than any of us do.
    Oh yes I have a good idea of what Im all about. Im far from cack handed but I am prone to making rash decisions when Im working in a grey area of my knowledge and experience.

I realise later that if I took a deep breath and let my abilities flow it would have been a proper finish. I can get over fussy and then do too much which takes me backwards.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 11-09-2017 at 16:42.

I'm Martin.

Ive had one quote for £235 per unit so "per unit" (plus to and fro shipping costs) over £500.

Im not having a go as thats what it propably takes to have a craftsman look at my cabinets. When you consider the time that has to be spent on them I couldnt expect anybody to be doing it to suit my skinflint mindset.

Now wheres that roller and veneer glue
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 21-09-2017 at 11:00.

I'm Jerry.

Here is my thread:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...+speaker+build

If there is one piece of advice to distil from my build experience, it is don't try and joint the veneers as they open up. Mine are not perfect but look ok from a distance!

Speakers are great though, no thoughts on changing them.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast