+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick CD Player Question

I'm Martin.

Not sure that anything is 'designed' to be left switched on. I don't think putting he on/off switch at the back counts. That to me is just playing to market expectations. To say it is designed that way implies to me there is something about the circuit design that makes this preferable. Maybe a resident double E can confirm but I don't think there is any special way to design a circuit so it is better left powered up than not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I'd like to know what is 'special' about items of Hi-Fi that are intended to be left switched on. What separates them from other equipment that gets turned off?

I don't believe in 'operating temperature' or 'stabilising' that demands perpetual power on, It doesn't need to be live 24/7 to achieve this. Much of my gear does sound better after being on for a while, but that takes between 15 and 30 minutes, that's all. And I don't leave it switched on! (unless I forget of course )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd like to know what is 'special' about items of Hi-Fi that are intended to be left switched on. What separates them from other equipment that gets turned off?

I don't believe in 'operating temperature' or 'stabilising' that demands perpetual power on, It doesn't need to be live 24/7 to achieve this. Much of my gear does sound better after being on for a while, but that takes between 15 and 30 minutes, that's all. And I don't leave it switched on! (unless I forget of course )
    +1. Anything else is voodoo.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not sure that anything is 'designed' to be left switched on. I don't think putting he on/off switch at the back counts. That to me is just playing to market expectations. To say it is designed that way implies to me there is something about the circuit design that makes this preferable. Maybe a resident double E can confirm but I don't think there is any special way to design a circuit so it is better left powered up than not.
    Yes that's correct and is as I said in an earlier post. Also there is no way to design a circuit so it is better left switched on, as you correctly surmise.

I guess it's mainly marketing bullshit (as is half of everything said about hi fi!) intended to maybe convey an image that something is so "special", "sensitive" and "refined" that it cannot be disturbed by being switched off. Bollocks more like!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post

I guess it's mainly marketing bullshit (as is half of everything said about hi fi!) !
    I'd say more like 80 to 90 percent. There is so much manufacturer bullshit aimed at the mug punter nowadays that countering it is like shovelling shit against the tide. Digital now seems to be the main area where nonsense rules. You've got DAC designers claiming they design for aspects of performance that cannot be measured. If it cannot be measured how can you design for it? I was reading a technical review the other day of some gadget that you string in between source and DAC that claims to reduce noise and distortion. In fact, with the recommended power supply (itself a few hundred quid), it actually increases both noise and distortion! With a laboratory grade power supply it just does nothing at all.

It's a jungle out there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12