+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rexton's Valve System - Upgrade Blog

I'm Andrew.

Default Rexton's Valve System - Upgrade Blog

• Over the next year the valve system is going to go through a major overhaul, here's whats planned.

1. Garrard 301 - New idler wheel - Work in progress.
      - New bearing fitted - awaiting delivery
      - Maybe a new SPU

2. Paradise phonostage - Upgraded to latest specs - Work done, now awaiting Tannoy XO's.

3. Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold XO - Upgraded to latest Fidelity Reference Components Reference specification - Work in progress.

4. Sondex S100 amplifier - Being replaced with Radford STA100 amplifier - Ordered and awaiting delivery.

5. Croft Epoch Preamp - Upgraded valve and power regulation - This may not happen depending upon feedback from evaluation.

Cabling will be staying the same. Should sound good.

SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

You might want to post some pics of your current system(s), so as to make your new 'system blog' here in the Gallery a little more relevant

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I would quite like to have a listen to that Radford when it arrives and you have sorted out how best to set it up.

If that is possible then give me a shout.

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You might want to post some pics of your current system(s), so as to make your new 'system blog' here in the Gallery a little more relevant

Marco.
    yes I had realised, later today perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    I would quite like to have a listen to that Radford when it arrives and you have sorted out how best to set it up.

If that is possible then give me a shout.

Andy
    Of course.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Hmmmm the hunt for my camera lead continues. New Garrard 301 bearing turned up today! It's been installed for 30 minutes and it ain't getting replaced. It's that good.
    I've got the 301 running through my old Lentek head amp which in turn is sitting in the back of a EAR 834 clone. OMG, the sonics are sublime. I will post some pictures when I can find the camera lead.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Where did you get the 301 bearing from Andy ?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post

Where did you get the 301 bearing from Andy ?
    Brian, it came from Malaysia.

Now for some long awaited piccies.

The Garrard 301. With a SME 3012, rewired IKEDA silver wire, a Yannis Tome (off the menu) 420.5 litz tonearm cable with pure silver RCA's. Silver Meister SPU and pure Copper record weight. The deck is fed by the Pheonix PSU and tachometer speed controller which can no longer be purchased. DSCN3311.jpg

This lot is fed into a EAR 834 clone MM phonostage. My reference phonostage, the four box paradise is currently being upgraded and repaired so whilst it's out of action I've been feeding the SPU through my Lentek head amp. It's the best noise the 301 has ever made. The EAR has x3 Mullard ECC83's (vintage) and sounds bloody brilliant.
    DSCN3299.jpg

This piccie shows the Yannis Tome tonearm cable and also my Croft Epoch preamp. The preamp has been extensively modified by Nick Gorham. It's due for another round of mods this year. I think better valve regulation and PSU.
    DSCN3312.jpg

The Garrard 301 has undergone a little (well quite large actually) upgrade in the form of a new bearing. I used to run a Garrard 401 bearing on the 301. Over the years I've gone from a stock 301 bearing to a Martin Bastin modded 301 bearing, then the 401 and now the Malaysian offering.

DSCN3304.jpg

And here is what the beast looks like when it's installed under the 301.

DSCN3310.jpg

More pics to follow when I get time.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Robert.

Lovely 301 Andy, How does it compare to your Techie ?
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Brian.

That 301 looks absolutely beautiful Andy

The bearing from Malaysia looks the biz mate , do they do them for GL75s .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Brilliant I shall look forward to that Andy.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks