+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted, Advice on Buying and shipping of a turntable from CANADA!

I'm Paul.

Default Wanted, Advice on Buying and shipping of a turntable from CANADA!

Hi,
    I have for the past 2 years been looking for a specific turntable to come up for sale and Lo and behold I have just had notification that one is being advertised, But it is located in Canada therefore can anyone advise me on the following:-
    a) As it is an Item I would purchase from a private individual (not a business) and as it is second hand, would I have to pay any import taxes or duties to ship it back to the UK?
    b) If I flew out there for say a short holiday/break say a week, when I return back to the UK, I could put it in a suitcase (Yes it would fit and be well boxed), upon return would I have to declare it at customs both on departure and return back to the UK?
    c) Do we have any trusted members (or friends of members) in the vicinity ( Ontario
    Toronto Markham / York Region)Who would be willing to call on the seller (Once I had made the arrangements)to view, take photos and report back to me via e-mail? I would be happy to pay a small agreed fee for this.

Thanks in advance.
    Paul
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Grant.

Yes it is taxable on value. Falsifying the documents accompanying is an offence and can be serious if caught. among other penalties the goods can be seized. The way suitcases are handled I would be reluctant to go that way anyway. Get a big company to handle the whole thing.(insured etc)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm steve.

I once sold an amp to a guy in Canada.. he tried to plug it their 120vt mains... his mate told him he would just need to change a fuse and it would work...
    it also cost a fair amount to ship but it got there ok
    I would guess the import costs is all about declared value... ?
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Dennis.

Two years ago I bought a bicycle front fork made from titanium via Ebay from a guy in Canada.
    It took ages to arrive, being held up at many stages, and the tracking was delayed and poor - latency?

From memory anything over a value of £100 is liable for customs charges, and they hang on to your item until you pay, which is all done via the net.

Transit for a turntable, very problematic, but insurance essential I would have thought.

In the 80s I had a replacement woofer sent from California, and they wrote value $0.00 on it which may have been illegal, but I don't think I paid charges on that one.

I'm Martin.

UK Duty and Tax is payable on any item over $50 usd

You are required to declare it at customs on entry to the UK and pay VAT and duty. You don't need to declare it when you depart Canada.

You could just hope that they don't bother and you can just walk through with the suitcase without saying anything, although this is smuggling and therefore technically a criminal act.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Thanks to your reply's, What I cannot get my head around is that there are to many if's and but's and nothing appears to be certain, for instance if I go to collect the item (At least I will know it exists) when you come back into the UK your are asked to go to either into the green channel or the red to declare channel, but I have been on the ukgov.website and nowhere can I see anything that relates to electrical goods for personnel use, I can only find the obvious items such as cash, drinks and cigs. am I missing something?
    Note I have not travelled for a while so things may well have changed.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Grant.

Might not let it on plane without being checked too. they are pretty safety conscious these days.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes - it will be X-rayed and they might not like what they see.

I believe there is a limit to the cost of items that can be brought into the UK as 'duty free'.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes - it will be X-rayed and they might not like what they see.

I believe there is a limit to the value of items that can be brought into the UK as 'duty free'.

(Just checked, the limit is £390. https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/a...outside-the-eu)
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    Thanks to your reply's, What I cannot get my head around is that there are to many if's and but's and nothing appears to be certain, for instance if I go to collect the item (At least I will know it exists) when you come back into the UK your are asked to go to either into the green channel or the red to declare channel, but I have been on the ukgov.website and nowhere can I see anything that relates to electrical goods for personnel use, I can only find the obvious items such as cash, drinks and cigs. am I missing something?
    Note I have not travelled for a while so things may well have changed.
    If you didn't take it out with you then you are supposed to declare it when you come back in, value withstanding. I know someone who had to pay VAT plus duty on his watch. He bought it in the UK and wore it on his way out, on his way back in they insisted he had bought it overseas and made him pay because he couldn't prove otherwise. The alternative was to let them confiscate a £5K watch.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast