+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Believe Everything They Tell You

I'm Martin.

Default Don't Believe Everything They Tell You

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I like that.

The bit about "stiff" speaker cabinets reminded me of a pair of remarkable sounding speakers I heard donkeys years ago. They were about three feet tall and made merely of hardboard, each sealed box containing a single largish vintage elliptical 'radiogram' type speaker, the type everybody used to sling in the bin, but are now becoming rather sought after.

Said speakers were surprisingly good at reproducing natural sounding music and even had a decent helping of clean bass. Goes to show, there are no rules!

Last edited by walpurgis; 08-09-2017 at 08:41.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I would concur with most of what is written there – but the author is not free from personal prejudices: witness his throw-way remark in the first Heresy: “…and in non hi-fi units – the base of a transistor…”.

However there are a couple of errors in his debunking of commonly held audio beliefs. The first is again contained in the first “Heresy”, and is the error that “the whole circuit will respond instantly”. It cannot respond instantly: the response time is determined by the size of the circuit and the speed of light. Furthermore the signal passing through the circuit does not consist of a pure sine wave - it is a complex wave packet consisting of a mixture frequency components. And owing to the dispersive nature of the circuit, the various frequency components will propagate at slightly different velocities and so the shape the wave packet will distort. The delay experienced by the centre of the wave packet as it passes through the circuit is called the group delay, and for audio amplifiers is typically ~ 5ns. There will also be a group delay error, a measure of the differential delay experienced by the individual frequency components within the wave packet signal. Typically, the group delay error is ~ 1ns. Both negligible and totally inaudible, but not zero.

In Heresy 2, the author states that preamplifiers don’t amplify and uses the example of the output from a CD player. Yes true for that particular source, but obviously not so for pick-up cartridges! (This perhaps reveals another personal prejudice of the author.)

In Heresy 5, the author claims the Fourier spectrum of a square wave consist of even order components only. Wrong - the Fourier spectrum for a symmetrical square wave consists of odd-order components only. Admittedly this is probably a typo, but when one is being so dogmatic, it is best to proof read before publishing.
    Barry

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I like that.

The bit about "stiff" speaker cabinets reminded me of a pair of remarkable sounding speakers I heard donkeys years ago. They were about three feet tall and made merely of hardboard, each sealed box containing a single largish vintage elliptical 'radiogram' type speaker, the type everybody used to sling in the bin, but are now becoming rather sought after.

Said speakers were surprisingly good at reproducing natural sounding music and even had a decent helping of clean bass. Goes to show, there are no rules!

I recall a pair of speakers at a London hifi show, oooh must be 25+ years ago, from a cottage industry Italian maker.
    Cabinets were made entirely of balsa wood of all things. I can't recall what type of driver(s).
    One of the most wonderfully natural midrange presentations I have ever heard.

I'm Shane.

I'm no qualified electronics engineer. But I think his mods on most CD Players presents bullshit.

Most of those CD Players should be left well alone!!

He's just another arrogant idiot to my eyes.

S.

I'm Dennis.

Some of it is right, he nearly conceptualises things clearly, but his English is poor to the extent that it either exposes or masks his thinking processes.

I'm Simon.

I think he's able to extract better sound from a lot of the things he mods. if valves and euphony are your flavours of course.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm gone.

Lampi has a clever marketing model, really quite similar to Naim.
    From what I have seen, folks invest in a lower cost model and then get trapped into an upward cost spiral of upgrading.

I'm Simon.

He's right about spikes, the rest of it is totally open to POV analysis. Remember it's just a sales document.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Neil.

My experience with spikes under things like CD players, pre-amps and power-amps is that they do change the sound and improve it, but this will vary depending on where they are placed and also what material they are made from. I do think this has got something to do with vibration but not isolation, probably more like they act as a vibration drain or they effect resonances in the case work.

To dismiss spikes and by default I assume cones etc is shallow. Others mileage and views will vary.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast