+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which PC software do I need?

I'm Steve.

Default Which PC software do I need?

Hi chaps. I was considering using software that can handle FLAC files on my new(ish) PC. I would like to be able to stream at some point in the future, and also I have a Sandisk Clip+ mp3 player that works with just about any file type, and I would like to be able to put music on that too.

I have NO music yet on the PC, so I am guessing that the laborious task of ripping will start soon.

Any help would be very welcome! what are your recommendations?

Thanks, Steve
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

EAC for ripping. If you have HDCD discs you'll need dbPoweramp to extract the additional information (EAC & dbPoweramp effectively do the same as each other with standard CD's - indeed they give identical rip results on a disc to disc basis. EAC is free, dbPoweramp has a free trial [full functionality], but is ultimately a purchase is required).
    DVD-A audio discs needs DVDAExplorer.
    DVD-V music video discs need something like DVDAudio Extractor, unless you're comfy with DVD Decrypter and Goldwave.
    Foobar2000 for playback.

If you need help just ask.

Chris

I'm Steve.

Hi Chris, and thanks. I am intending only to rip CD's at the moment, I have no SACD or DVDaudio discs at all. What I am after is something easy to use and with good sound quality (assuming some are better than others?)

I have been told winamp is OK?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I have been told winamp is OK?
    Jeez - I nearly choked on my pint then

EAC is free and uses something called accuraterip - Winamp does not use accuraterip. Accuraterip does exactly as its' name describes.

EAC will in all likelihood rip discs more slowly than Winamp, but the results will be much more accurate.

Chris

I'm Steve.

Sorry, I meant as a music player, not ripping software. That is what I am after, something like itunes, but not itunes if you like...

Winamp is ok as a player - I prefer Foobar2000 myself as it requires less system resource to run.
    Also Foobar has lots of nifty plugin things to add if you need them - it's a very bare bones approach compared to Winamps "give 'em the kitchen sink".

Chris

I'm Steve.

Cool thanks Chris, I will take a look.

I forgot to mention - if ASIO drivers are available for a sound device (sound card, usb device etc) the Foobar can be set up to use them.

Basically it bypasses all of the Windows drivers and settings.

Chris

I'm David.

http://www.foobar2000.org/download
    http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

takes a little fiddleing, but ulimately worth it!

i use dbpoweramp, a very knowledgeable friend of mine wrote me this small tutorial that i have found very effective for putting my music into a files and folders in a logical way

Installation Of dBpoweramp:

Download the CD Ripper program from www.dbpoweramp.com and install the program. Then on their website, download and install the FLAC codec. Also, download and install the DSP Effects too.

Do not rip a CD until you have followed the setup below.

Run the CD Ripper application and click on the Options button. A dialogue box will appear. Under “Ripping Method” select the Secure button. Under “AccurateRip” ensure tick box is ticked next to “Query Ripping Results with AccurateRip”

Under “CD ROM” tick the tick box for “Prevent auto-run on all CD drives” then click the OK button.

At the bottom left of the window is a box named “Rip To” click the dropdown and select Flac.

To the right of this section will be 3 vertical tabs, click on the “Encoder” tab which will show [Flac Encoder Settings]

Click the drop down and select Compression Level 8 (Best)

Then click on the DSP tab

Click on the “Add DSP / Action” button move the mouse pointer over “Add DSP Effect” and select ID Tag Processing

A dialogue box will appear. Click on the “Deletions” tab. Click on “Single Tag” button, a line will appear:

Single Tag [type or select tag element] [Remove]

Move the mouse pointer over the [type or select tag element] and click, then a drop down will appear, click on this and select “Title” then click on the OK button.

On the bottom left, of the dBpoweramp CD ripper window, is a box named “Path”, click the SET button and select where you want dbpoweramp to save your music to. i.e. the music folder on your PC or NAS drive but make a Folder called “CDs” so the path looks similar to:

Music Folder\CDs

Below this box is one named “Naming”, click on the SET button and a dialogue box will appear.

At the top is a box named “Naming”. Click on the box and it will highlight the text, then press the Delete key on your keyboard, then copy and paste the code below into the now clear box and press OK button

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album]\[IFMULTI]\Disc[disc][]\[track] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]\Disc[disc][]\[track] - [title][]

On the bottom left, of the dBpoweramp CD ripper window, is a box named “Profile”, click the drop down arrow and select [Create Profile] then type a name, for the Profile, i.e. Contemporary or Modern ensure “Copy Settings From Profile: Default” is ticked then click Create button.

The Profile enables you to set different methods of ripping for different types of CDs. The above Profile, Contemporary, structures your music in a specific way. When you insert a CD, say Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, a folder will automatically be created called “Dire Straits” unless it already exits, in which case it will open the folder. Then within the “Dire Straits” folder it will create a folder called “Brothers In Arms” and then it will copy the tracks and cover art into that folder. This enables the LinnGUI software to display all your music as your CDs are, Artist then Album title, i.e.

Artist Folder\Album Title\Tracks & Cover Art

If it’s a compilation CD, the Compilation tick box must be ticked and the following will be created:

Various Artist\Album Title\Tracks & Cover Art

If the CD is a multi disc CD then the following will be created:

Artist Folder\Album Title\Disc ?\Tracks & Cover Art

With Classical CDs you may want this to be different. I have my Classical CDs sorted out as follows:

Composer\Conductor\Musical Piece\Tracks & Cover Art

To Achieve this, click the drop down arrow, on the Profile Box, and select [Create Profile] then type “Classical” for the Profile name ensure “Copy Settings From Profile: Contemporary” is ticked then click Create button.

Then on the “Path” box click Set button and Make a folder called “Classical” in your music folder then click OK button, so that it looks similar to:

Music Folder\Classical

Then in “Naming” box click Set button and a dialogue box will appear. At the top click in the “Naming” box to highlight the code in the box and press the Delete key. The box should now be empty. Now copy and paste the following code into the empty box then click OK button.

[IFCOMP]various\[IFVALUE]conductor,[conductor],Various[]\[album]\[IFMULTI]\Disc[disc][]\[track] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]composer,[composer],[album artist][]\[IFVALUE]conductor,[conductor],Various[]\[album]\[IFMULTI]\Disc[disc][]\[track] - [title][]

You may wish your Classical CDs saved in a different way. Let me know how and I will send you the code to do it.

You have now setup the software ready to rip. First select the correct Profile, Contemporary or Classical, then load a manufactured CD. Not a CDR or a compilation CD, so that AccurateRip can correctly set itself for your Drive. Make sure the CD loaded is identified. i.e. the Artist, Album, Year, Track data and Cover art etc… is correct. If not try another CD or enter the information manually. Then click the Rip button.

The very first CD you rip is used by AccurateRip to identify the correct settings for your drive. All other CDs will be ripped normally.

When ripped, a dialogue box will appear to confirm the Accurate Rip setting. If all is well click the OK button. If an error is displayed, follow the instructions, you may need to try a different CD or a different Drive. If you think it is the drive, try installing the software on a different PC.

You are now ready to use dBpoweramp to rip you CD collection. Load a CD wait for the information to appear then check it is all correct including the Track information.

If the Cover Art is not displayed, try looking on Amazon website for the CD and if the cover art is there, copy and paste the Image to your PC and then click the + button above the Cover Art Box and select “Load (From File)”. If you cannot find the image on the internet, then you can always Scan the CD Cover in instead.

If the CD is a compilation, make sure the tick is selected on the Compilation setting.

If the CD is a multi-disc CD, then make sure the “Disc” box contains the correct Disc info for the CD i.e. 1/5 (disc 1 of 5) or 3/4 (disc 3 of 4).

When all info is correct, click the “Rip” button.

thats just copied and pasted from the email he sent me so i know some of it (eg the linngui bit, and the bit about emailing him for alternate classical music categorisation) does not apply

i would never had worked that shit out for my self, so i hope that helps
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 06-02-2010 at 00:19.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Steve.

Thanks guys. I need to take a look at what is available, I might download a coupl eand give em a go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast