+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meticulous detail

I'm Chris.

Default Meticulous detail

I have just spent 4 days in my house judging the sonic differences between I/U transistors in the SW1X DAC. Slawa supplied the DAC and 6 sets of PNP resistors with a circuit board set up so that each could be plug and played.

Well those sceptics that claim all components sound the same can turn away now.

My criteria was not about Hi Fi qualities such as extended bass, or fuller mid range, but more about was I really enjoying the sound, would it keep me listening late into the night, and if there were 6 DACs separately fitted with just one of the pairs of trannys, which would I buy?

Slawa had pre selected the six trannys from a host of candidates ranging from rare 1960s stuff to modern equivalents, some silicon and some germanium. I wont go into detail, but suffice to say that marking out of 10, the worst got 4 and the best got 9. Differences were not subtle.

I use this just as an example of how one component in a circuit can influence the sound of the final product. Slawa tests most components in this way

I'm Martin.

How did Germanium score?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

I'm more intrigued how the circuit was compensated for the electrical differences between the transistors? Was it just a straight transistor swap or were they mini-circuits?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    How did Germanium score?
    As usual, they beat England on penalties!

Sorry, as you were.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

How did Germanium score?
    The preselection process had only brought 1 germanium to my testing, but it did finish in second place.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I'm more intrigued how the circuit was compensated for the electrical differences between the transistors? Was it just a straight transistor swap or were they mini-circuits?
    I wish I had the skills to answer that, but I just listen to music. I'm sure Slawa may be along to help explain the technical stuff.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    As usual, they beat England on penalties!

Sorry, as you were.

Marco.
    Love it.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I spoke with Slawa briefly about this yesterday. Apparently its a bit like valve rolling, except in this case its with I/U transistors. This is achievable if the surrounding 'circuitry' is vastly over specified as it is in his equipment, and the trannys are selected to do a similar job in that circuit.

I'm Jez.

Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Shaun.

How did Germanium score?
    Considerably better than Francium

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast