+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Slight Wow on old Rega Planar 3

I'm Peter.

With regards to my initial post concerning slight wow on my old Planar 3, I have since retired it to my workshop as a spare system, I haven't the heart to sell it. I took the decision and bought a new Audio Technica AT LP5. The direct drive is silent by the way and absolutely NO wow. However, as nice as the supplied AT95EX cartridge is and its no slouch but lacks a bit of definition and is a bit bass light , I feel the deck deserves a cartridge up grade, My Hi Fi dealer said the arm is capable of handling better cartridges.

I checked a few reviews and the Chinese guy with his cartridge review videos came up with a Goldring Electra, Nagoake MP110 in my price range which is around £100 max, I'v since been recommended the Shure M97XE over the Nagoake. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. What I don't want to do is up grade but find I have just moved sideways!

I'm Geoff.

For a touch more, a new Denon DL-110 high output moving coil cartridge could be good on that turntable. A decent second hand one should be below your budget. You could put a 'wanted' listing in the 'Private Exhibitions' section. I bet a few members have one they might part with.

Presumably Harrow Audio are local to you. They are a Denon stockist.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Cheers, Yes Harrow Audio are round the corner from where I live, I will pop in tomorrow and have a chat. Never thought of a Denon

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by homespun View Post
    With regards to my initial post concerning slight wow on my old Planar 3, I have since retired it to my workshop as a spare system, I haven't the heart to sell it. I took the decision and bought a new Audio Technica AT LP5. The direct drive is silent by the way and absolutely NO wow. However, as nice as the supplied AT95EX cartridge is and its no slouch but lacks a bit of definition and is a bit bass light , I feel the deck deserves a cartridge up grade, My Hi Fi dealer said the arm is capable of handling better cartridges.

I checked a few reviews and the Chinese guy with his cartridge review videos came up with a Goldring Electra, Nagoake MP110 in my price range which is around £100 max, I'v since been recommended the Shure M97XE over the Nagoake. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. What I don't want to do is up grade but find I have just moved sideways!
    I've gone through one or two cartridges over the last few years as well as getting reports from friends on some others, the most recent 5 cartridges I've used are the AT95E that came included on the ATLP120 I had last year, the Ortofon 2M Red (2 different ones that came factory fitted on a Project Debut Carbon and a Project Genie RPM 1.3), a Denon DL110, an AT120EB and a Nagaoka MP110, the last 2 I still have, the Nag is on my Rega currently and the 120EB I keep as a backup.
    Although much cheaper I prefer the 95E to the 2M Red which for its price has a very poor stylus. The DL110 can sound superb with certain types of music but it's too laid back for Rock music, super stylus though.
    The Nag and the 120EB are both excellent for the money, if you want a lighter tracker the 120EB fits the bill and can track anything at 1.5g the Nag equals it at 1.8g.
    Both work well with my Schiit Mani phono stage, for me the Nag shades the 120EB by a small margin but if you like a little brighter sound then it's the 120EB. although I've never used one personally most consider the Shure 97 to be a bit of a lemon, tales of poor quality control of stylus and cantilever alignment as well as a rather dull sound even if you get a good one. The Chinese guy on YouTube you mentioned is certainly very thorough with his cartridge reviews, he likes the Nag/Schiit combo although I slightly disagree with his thoughts on the 120EB which I reckon is better than he says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

I fitted a Ortofon 2M Red to my old Rega Planar 3 and I had to shim the arm base up by several mm to get a level arm ( the Rega is now retired to my workshop ) I was never fully convinced the Red was giving me everything on the record, it sounded excellent, warmish, quite punchy and sweet at times but I felt it could have been a bit more dynamic. I tried a 2M Blue stylus and things started to wake up and give more expression, but look at the price. The AT120 EB i believe has been replaced by the VM510CB but not seen any reviews. The Nag MP110 gets over all winner in class B on those Japanese video tests. It seems cartridges run in trends, what was in last year is out this year.

I'm Peter.

Just an up date for those who are familiar with Harrow Audio and Richard Conroy, He has retired and will be moving from his Dunstable residence to some where up in Derbyshire. He told me he will pop in to the shop from time to time. They have apparently employed a new manager, who I have yet to meet.

I'm Peter.

UPDATE, I have just got a Audio Technica AT LP5 turntable. It was partly due to What Hi Fi's review and my desire for a direct drive deck but keeping to a budget. I'm impressed and will post a report on my findings soon. The Rega is still up and running in my workshop so I haven't disbanded it, I haven't got the heart.

I'm Andrew.

33.33 vs 33.3 = 0.09% slow not 1%

1% slow would be 32.9967

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by homespun View Post
    I fitted a Ortofon 2M Red to my old Rega Planar 3 and I had to shim the arm base up by several mm to get a level arm ( the Rega is now retired to my workshop ) I was never fully convinced the Red was giving me everything on the record, it sounded excellent, warmish, quite punchy and sweet at times but I felt it could have been a bit more dynamic. I tried a 2M Blue stylus and things started to wake up and give more expression, but look at the price. The AT120 EB i believe has been replaced by the VM510CB but not seen any reviews. The Nag MP110 gets over all winner in class B on those Japanese video tests. It seems cartridges run in trends, what was in last year is out this year.
    The Audio Technica VM510CB is not really a replacement for the AT120EB, even though it’s £10 dearer than what I paid for mine, it’s a lower spec and only has a conical stylus, the next up in the series the VM520CB has an elliptical stylus but it’s quite a bit more money, there may be one or two NOS 120EBs still around for a better price, still think the MP110 shades it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345