+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slight Wow on old Rega Planar 3

I'm Anto.

I was expecting a thread about the wow factor of a Rega
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Oils do affect the sound and I would recommend you go with Rega's suggestion. They do know what they are doing, as you have discovered by going back to the Rega belt instead of the tweaky one. A Rega White Belt might be also help with your problem.
    Seconded on the white belt.

When I fitted one in place of the standard belt it gave a measurable improvement to W&F.
    Subtle but it's a cheap upgrade.

White belt, sticky pad attached motor, clean bearing with proper oil should get a Rega running at constant speed.

If it still shows problems it would be worth checking the motor phasing caps and ensuring the pulley hasn't worked loose. Easy cheap fixes.

Rob

I'm Peter.

Thanks, we are getting there, I'm very reluctant to throw too much money at a 40 year old turntable, and a new one is out of the question, funds are tight. Do you know, Dave I bought this deck from Radlett Audio when the shop was in Radlett, and not long after the Planar 3 came out with the RB300 arm, you could have been my salesman. Actually the wife picked it up for me from the shop!! A friend has lent me an ORIGIN LIVE mat to try,

I'm Dave.

Those were the good ol' days..

I'm Peter.

I remember meeting Mike Creek in the Radlett shop, it was just after i purchased a Creek 40 40, so he was pleased and offered to convert the DIN connections to Phono free of charge at his Barnet workshop.
    I'l check your web site

As you say good ol days

I'm Dave.

Back then, we had a waiting list of 6 months for a Planar-3. We had an allocation of 24/month but this wasn't nearly enough to supply the demand.

The Creek 4040 was a winner. I remember talking to John Dawson of A&R (now Arcam) about it and he told me it couldn't be produced for the asking price of £98. I told him that not only was it possible but it was wonderful and we couldn't get them in fast enough. Mike Creek used to deliver 10 or 12 every Friday and Saturday morning, I would be phoning to plead for more. He used to drop off a few more on Saturday afternoon whilst he did some shopping in Radlett. Good times..

I'm Peter.

Apart from my initial concern of a slight wow which has in effect been reduced to 'not worth worrying about' any more after re fitting the Rega standard drive belt.

I'm happy with the set up which is an early Creek 40 40 amp, Rega Planar 3/RB 300 arm (both purchased from Radlett Audio).

Fitted a new Ortofon Blue cartridge fitted recently, Rega wool mat replacement from Harrow audio, some pretty bog standard 79 strand speaker cable and a pair of B&W 685 S2 book shelf speakers on cheap Mission stands, all fairly budget gear in to days terms, It sounds great to my ears, I tried a new Mitchel & Johnson amp on loan, it sounded excellent but I still preferred my 'old' Creek 40 40, it is some how more musical.

I'm Martin.

You've got a well matched system there, not surprised it sounds good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Thanks Martin, Its a pretty dated system apart from the cartridge and speakers, but it seems to give very pleasing sound on Vinyl. The Creek is very musical, it encourages you to listen the music not the 3rd violin in the back row of an orchestra, I do jest.

My wow as mentioned is now low enough not to worry about, I might in the future consider making the motor isolated from the plinth, as a retired engineer, I will ponder for a while on the possibilities, no hurry.

Direct drive has always attracted me for their speed control and no wow with the quartz lock motor, but never had one. My pal has a Technics not sure of model and the bass response is just awesome, no wonder DJ's love them, I might look round for a second hand direct drive deck as there are quite a few makes out there, some brilliant and some not so good.

I'm Martin.

I had a 4040 for a while in about '93. It does have a warm, lush character. Couple that with the slightly clinical Ortofon cart and the slightly clinical B&W and you have synergy! Of course I did not know that in '93. Ah well.

Re the Technics I first had a listen to one in a hifi sense at a DJ's flat. I thought it was better than my Systemdek IIX by a margin. That was a shock. About 20 years later I bought one.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast