+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Slight Wow on old Rega Planar 3

I'm Martin.

Train the young children and pets or just ban them from the room. Problem solved.

Only problem is if you are lazy like me you don't put the lid back on when you've finished and the TT (and the lid) end up looking like they have been down a coal mine.

Cleaned mine up the other day. Used about a hundred baby wipes. I'd forgotten that you should be able to see the TT through the lid. Looks like a different deck. Room now smells of babies.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Room now smells of babies.
    No it doesn't!
    It smells of baby wipes - babies sometimes smell really disgusting
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

having avoided children all my adult life I was under the mistaken impression that the smell of baby wipes was the smell of babies. I now know differently.

In the same way I always assumed that hospital stink was the smell of incontinent old people but then I found out it is the stench of that nasty shit they use to clean the place.
    Current Lash Up:

In the same way I always assumed that hospital stink was the smell of incontinent old people but then I found out it is the stench of that nasty shit they use to clean the place.
    What nasty shit?
    It's rare that the places get cleaned properly.
    When I was a kid they smelt of disinfectant and floor polish.
    Chris

I'm Grant.

Can always tell the new mums in the supermarket from the baby smell. You get used to most of it but shit is shit wherever it comes from. Babies just produce so much more for their size, and its not been digested properly.
    When the grandkids came i refused to have anything to do with nappies
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    What nasty shit?
    It's rare that the places get cleaned properly.
    When I was a kid they smelt of disinfectant and floor polish.
    The cleaning solution they use. Apparently it is the cheapest cleaning solution you can buy. The local bus company here use it to clean their buses, so the buses smell like hospital too. It really is awful.

As you say when we were young hospitals smelled of disinfectant. They smelt clean. I don't know if they are actually clean. Probably not. No-one takes pride in their work anymore and standards have been so low for so long no-one in a position of responsibility is aware of what the acceptable standard is.
    Current Lash Up:

I've seen blood on the tiles around a sink on a hospital ward that never got cleaned, when I was in regularly visiting someone over a couple of weeks.
    Look under the beds and there's an accumulation of crud that just shouldn't be there.
    It's a miracle that anyone walks out of the places.

I've also been in as a patient, but I was either too ill, or off my face on analgesics, to care.
    Chris

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Back to Regas.

If you can't or won't use their wall bracket for siting (I always thought they sounded best mounted this way), I've tried sorbothane boots/feet under each Rega foot to good effect.

Regarding tonearm height, my experiences are old and I have no means of checking for myself, but so many diamonds on cartridges of all prices were set with too much rake angle - several degrees in fact so VTA was fucked right from the start in actual fact! Having the arm down at the back slightly never did fidelity any harm apart from dull sounding cartridges which can't be saved whatever you do, so Roy Gandy did have a provable point all along in my opinion. Their own MM cartridges are slim and get the tonearm level when fitted to a stock Rega.

I'll probably be ignored and obviously don't sell this stuff any more, but I seriously don't think 2mm down at the back is going to be a be-all-and-end-all for any cartridge. The VTA can be adjusted by 1/10g either way on the downforce in any case although I accept some cartridges are so low in compliance it wouldn't make any real difference - and nobody in the right mind is going to use a Decca or SPU in a Rega Planar, are they - eek?

Some cartridges we used that sounded fine with stock tonearm height from memory - Rega R100/A&R C-E-P77/Sumiko Pearl/Supex SM100E, which are all related I believe, Goldring 900 series and especially the 10** models, all of them sounding great in a Rega - I suspect the 1012GX related Linn Adikt would too, Ortofon OM, 500's and 2M models, a 2M Bronze sounding really good in a current Rega 3 and also some of their MC's like MC10 Super and 20 Super, Denon 110 and 160 and also 304, Linn K9 and K18 at the time, Dynavector 10X IV and V, although these are little 'better' than a DL110 if at all but cost more than double now.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Peter.

DSJR, I use Balsa wood under the feet of my old Rega, medium soft grade, it really does work. I use a laminate sandwich of 1/16" thick sheets cut down to about 6cm X 6cm square, or enough for the rubber foot print not to over lap the edges, and add or take away until deck is level. Don't glue them together, just let the weight of the deck hold them in place, you probably need a minimum of 4 layers to have any effect

I'm steve.

Default Slight Wow on old Rega Planar 3

You should always take the lid off completely when playing a record though. Can't understand people who don't do that. It's like driving with the handbrake on.
    I do always remove the lid completely when playing records but I know some don't, everyone to their own I suppose :-)
    As for the vinyl picking up vibrations, one of the main reasons I upgraded to an alloy subplatter was to get a longer spindle so I could use my Michell Record Clamp which works nicely to keep the record as dead as possible, it also allows me to gently spin up the turntable by hand before flicking the power switch to save belt wear.
    Best sound upgrade for a Rega though is getting one of the latest lightweight wall mounts as I have, gives a much tighter and more focused sound than having it on your sideboard or anything else on the floor.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 17-09-2017 at 18:33.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast